Purpose of Linux Mint?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Purpose of Linux Mint?

Postby pyite on Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:06 pm

I was happy with the original purpose of Linux Mint as I saw it - a version of Ubuntu that had all of the difficult-to-install things pre-installed (java, flash, dvd support, etc). I am a huge fan of Bea, and I switched all of my Ubuntu desktops to it.

I really don't like the Bianca desktop, are you going to spend time continuing to develop Yet Another look and feel? It seems like a distraction to me.

Hopefully, it will always be easy to just use the standard Ubuntu environment.

Thanks
pyite
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby bef on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:54 pm

If you want to use Ubuntu with codecs, then download EasyUbuntu application, or use Ubuntu Ultimate.. Mint is it's own distro, and I'm very glad that it's making further improvements and innovations.
bef
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rstana on Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:20 pm

pyite the nicest thing about linux is freedom - you can choose whatever you want and the choice is greate
if you have chosed Bea - good; if you like it stay with the system... nobody is forcing you to upgrade
I have chosen Bianca - installed, configured and I am using it... works fine from the start... I have needed distro where I could immediately compile drivers for my net card and I could do it on Bianca... so I am on the net now... that's what made Bianca my number 1
rstana
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions