[SOLVED] Why have they stopped making mint with LXDE?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LAPIII
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Why have they stopped making mint with LXDE?

Post by LAPIII »

I want to install it on my netbook and the other DEs use quite a bit of memory. Even though they are fast on the netbook, LXDE Is even faster.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 18 with Cinnamon (64-bit)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Why have they stopped making mint with LXDE?

Post by xenopeek »

You can install LXDE if you want, it is available in Software Manager. Easiest to do with the Xfce edition of Linux Mint as Xfce is easiest to remove afterwards if that is what you want. After installing LXDE you can select whether to use LXDE or Xfce at the login screen.

The LXDE edition of Linux Mint was retired because the community maintainer was no longer working on it (lost interest or life got in the way; that happens) and the Linux Mint maintainers couldn't justify to continue to support it. They support the 4 most popular desktop environments amongst Linux Mint users, and LXDE isn't in the top 4 (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&t=100787). There just wasn't (and isn't) the time for them to support each and every desktop environment. But again, you can just install LXDE yourself (or any other desktop environment).
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I did what xenopeek suggested ... I just installed lxde from the repos on my 1Gb netbook with single boot mint 17 Mate on it. I haven't used mate since. Lxde is a bit clunky to set up compared with most other modern DEs but yes, it's fast.

However, I wasn't surprised that they stopped the mint lxde spin. The lxde dev team just seems to be a couple of guys, and for a while I think they've mostly been working on the file manager pcmanfm. It's very good now.

Most of their efforts are going to Lx-Qt now. This is a version of lxde built on Qt libraries instead of gtk ones. I tried it once and while it was damn good for a beta, I wouldn't install it until it's finished. It also isn't as light as lxde.

I like lxde myself. It has no eye candy ... and personally I think adding things like compiz to it is just ridiculous ... but it has a no nonsense quality. And I rather like having a DE that looks like something from the 90s but works very much like OS X. :wink:
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The developer that used to maintain the Mint LXDE Edition has had his own distro for some time now. Kendall Weaver develops Peppermint OS. :D
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Advice Pro wrote:Why have they stopped making mint with LXDE?
Limited development resources. Convince more people to use LXDE than use, say, MATE, and Clem would probably consider producing a Mint LXDE (at the expense of whichever DE version that your grass-roots LXDE campaign surpassed in terms of number of users, of course (see: limited development resources :roll: ).

Or... I guess you could cut him a check for suitable development manpower/resources, I guess. IDK how much that'd be - my guess is that US$50K would do it (maybe for US$150K, he'd call it the Mint LXDE Advice Pro Gold version, lol).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”