migration from windows

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

migration from windows

Postby bratliff on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:12 am

A suggestion is to use ubuntu's migration utilities. I miss having my favorites in FireFox.

I will say I like the graphics and video working when I install a operating system. Now if the scanner would install as easily as the printer.

ratliff
bratliff
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby NiksaVel on Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:56 pm

it shouldn't be too hard to install a scanner if it's sane supported...

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

hp scanjet 3970 install

Postby bratliff on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:11 am

I can and did get my scanner to work, but only after reading for hours and hours on the ubuntu forum and downloading the sane driver. EVen then I had to read the MInt forum to find the sudo xsane command to get it to scan.

I'm saying it should be automatic, like the cannon s600 printer installation. MInt took care of that fine.
ratliff

NiksaVel wrote:it shouldn't be too hard to install a scanner if it's sane supported...

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
bratliff
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:14 am

installing scanner was a pain for me as well... I lost many hours on it... but that was mainly to my lack of knowledge... knowing what I know now, I could probably install and setup any sane-supported scanner within 10-15 minutes...

It took me 3 days to setup my first scanner in linux :)
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Non-technical Questions