Get Tux Known

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Get Tux Known

Postby donlinux on Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:30 am

Here is an interesting and worthy project.

Let's get linux recognized on a huge scale !

http://www.tux500.com/

$1.34 can't hurt too bad can it?
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Statistics

Postby donlinux on Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:45 am

In case anyone was interested as to how Mint contributions compared to other distro's for this project. You can view it here: http://tux500.com/stats.php
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Postby scorp123 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:14 am

Topic moved to "Suggestions & Feedback" where it belongs :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby belovedmonster on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:22 pm

I donated a buck to this as soon as I saw it, but the more I thought about it afterwards the less sure I was it was actually worthwhile. I just cant see a car sponsored by Linux making people rush out to download it. It makes me wonder how much a print ad is in a national publication. I think that would be a MUCH better way to spend peoples money.

Thinking about it, when Firefox did those big print ads announcing it had arrived they got loads of press coverage in other mainstream publications, and not just tech publications either, but just mainstream general press buzz. Why cant Linux do the same thing? Hell, that way you can even get a message across... "Linux is better because..." you cant do that with a race car can you.

Nope, the more I think about it the more it angers me that such a crap idea was put forward. I think this is reflected in the amount of donations they have received. People just don't see this as making any difference, I have to totally agree with them.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby shane on Tue May 15, 2007 3:31 am

i think tux 500 deserves our support... let us make this happen :)
shane
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Non-technical Questions