A network configuration wizard

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

A network configuration wizard

Postby saral on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi guys,

I had started some work on this front, via a project

http://netconfwizard.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/netconfwizard/netconfwizard/www/index.html http://netconfwizard.cvs.sourceforge.ne ... index.html

(NOTE: the latest source code is in another location, the mock ups are just for illustrative purposes)

STATUS: I had done almost 90% of the core UI coding.. the basic stuff shoudl work on debian derived ditros.

unfortunately, due to a change in my circumstances, i am unable to continue further work on this.

If the idea, objectives or challenges of this project interest u, pls do contact me.. i would be glad if this project can see the light of the day..

cheers,[/url]
saral
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:56 am

Hi,

Is somebody interested in taking this over? It looks promising but I don't have the resources myself to continue the development for cassandra.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Boo on Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:08 am

I was thinking of having a look at it.
give me something else to do at work.
I need a project.

:lol:
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby saral on Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Some notes:

1. Features:
. Handles end to end setup for connection to internet. Users choose the type of connection they have, the wizard tries to identify the hardware based on PCI IDs etc, and helps with setting up the driver, lets the user define the connection params based on the type of connection, and also the TCP/IP settings.

. Does network setup for
- Dialup (using ppp/wvdial/or any oher configurable script, eg one for AOL dialer)
- wireless - scans for available wlans and also
- ethernet/cable modems
- direct xDSL using pppoe or pppoa

. Hardware configuration
- has a database of drivers basd on PCI ID's, so it can guide the user to the suitable driver (for winmodems/wireless lan cards etc)

. ISP database
Many known kppp, wvdial and ADSL ISP details are stored, a newbie user can merely select his/her ISP from the list, and hopefully just need to define the username/password

. Create multiple connection profile, and start them
. uses system-tools-backend
. easily create "plugin" like definitions to configure inputs for any wierd and specific connection tool, which work with some ISPs (some other specific connection client/scripts)
. Rollback settings to a previous state - this is via separate GUI, not fully tested

2. the latest code is under

http://saral-linux.com/WebSVN/listing.p ... rev=0&sc=0

3. There are 3 components to this:
a) the wizard itself - it is python code, uses pyQt libraries.. I am not a python expert, and had used this project to actually learn python.

b) a taskbar application that shows configured connections, and status etc (this is for KDE, i suppose we would have to code a different one for gnome - perhaps reusing a lot of code) .. i havent checked this in.. yet..
c) a small gui frame for rolling back any changes

u can contact me on vivek dot rai AT gmail dot com for any questions.
saral
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:39 pm

I'd like somebody to package this as a deb so I can put it in Romeo and get feedback on it by the community.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Non-technical Questions