clem

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Waoo Jett, that's quite personal you know!? well, after all you're a person, so I'll just tell you :)

I'm a developer. I use Java on Windows and Solaris at work (no much choice I'm afraid) and I use Linux at home. I develop stuff for fun as well, mostly in Java, Web technologies (PHP most of the time) or in Perl.

I started using Linux in 1997. It was Slackware. I moved to Mandrake and then went back to Sclackware.. then eventually tried Debian and loved it. When Ubuntu arrived I moved again... and I've been running Fedora and Ubuntu/Kubuntu since.

I started writing articles for linuxforums.org and review other distributions.

I started writing articles and howtos for myself as well on a website called linuxmint.com.

After reviewing a lot of distributions I got a fair idea of what I liked in each one of them and I started applying these ideas to Kubuntu and modify it to suit my needs. Eventually when I got bored applying and reapplying them I started to automate the process and generate iso files... the name was already there: linuxmint.. and soon Ada was released.

At first it was just an ISO I passed on to friends. I told distrowatch about it and eventually got on the waiting list. When Barbara was ready I decided to stop the articles, howtos and the Linuxmint portal and dedicate that domain name to that new distribution.

When Barbara came out, it got to be announced on distrowatch.. and you know the rest of the story... :)

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Clem

Post by npap »

Sorry to be nosy Clem. but are you fellows of LInux Mint operating from Canada? Just curious. Je ne suis pas un guru.
Best regards,
npap
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well... it'll probably be an international project when people join in, with a team spread over the world. At the moment though we're mostly in Ireland and Germany... why Canada ?
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

clem wrote:Well... it'll probably be an international project when people join in, with a team spread over the world. At the moment though we're mostly in Ireland and Germany... why Canada ?
Distrowatch listed the project as being based in Canada initially. Not sure if it still that way but you might want to email Ladislav and let him know.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Oh yes, this was done. It's now "officially" from Ireland :)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”