Supplemental CD

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mad Echidna

Supplemental CD

Post by Mad Echidna »

Let me start of by congratulating the Linux Mint team. This is by far the best default install I have had with any system. I have not felt the need to do any sort of tweaking as of yet, and everything is working the way I expect it to. How novel it is when media on websites actually works!

With that said, I think it would be nice if you would accommodate users who may not have an Internet connection available to them. There are several people at my school here who have desktop machines, and the only way they can get software is by shuttling it back and forth on USB sticks. If there was a Linux Mint disc 2, with at the bare minimum all the packages needed to compile software from source, that would make things allot easier. Other nice things to add might be Wine, Beryl, and perhaps some games. Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jonpackard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonpackard »

Linux Mint will work with any Ubuntu packages. I have a Kubuntu DVD that has all the packages from the main ubuntu repository. I find it very useful when setting up a PC with a slow or non-existent internet connection. The Kubuntu DVD works fine for any Ubuntu-based distro. Perhaps you could install all of the software you need on a system that has internet access and copy your '/var/cache/apt/archives' to a CD and add it as a repository using Synaptic.

I have experimented with altering the Linux Mint CD a bit and have come to realize the size constraints of a 700MB CD. To add any software I had to remove an equal amount of software. Clem has been discussing the possibility making a DVD version of Linux Mint. I am working on one myself so that I can offer feedback to Clem for upcoming releases.
Jon Packard -- Linux Mint user since 11/14/2006
jonpackard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonpackard »

I am working with Clem on creating an add-on repository CD.
Jon Packard -- Linux Mint user since 11/14/2006

Return to “Non-technical Questions”