Nvidia, ATI drivers.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Nvidia, ATI drivers.

Postby 900i on Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:40 am

Just read an article on Desktoplinux.com, Ubuntu's next release in April next year will include proprietary drivers for Nvidia and ATI graphics cards. Have you any intention of providing something along the same lines?

On another note, I installed Linux Mint 2.0 on my laptop the day after it was released. Having used Ubuntu 6.06 since it came out last June. It's a great distro and I think I will migrate my wifes machine to it aswell from Ubuntu.

Cheers.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:06 am

Hi,

It really depends on what's needed for them to work. If it's just including a package (like we did for 915resolution), then there's no problem as long as these drivers fit on the CD. But if it requires configuration and better hardware detection... then I'm afraid we won't do it. The reason is simple: we don't have any of these graphic cards.. and it's hard for us to test it.

Can you describe the exact steps you go through when installing the ATI driver manually ?
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby 900i on Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:25 am

I just follow this Howto on the Ubuntu forums

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread. ... t=glxgears
900i
Level 6
Level 6

proprietary kernel drivers

Postby jars_u on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:20 pm

I hope the proprietary kernel drivers for the ATI and NVIDIA video cards provided over the free ones by X.Org in Ubuntu will be included and work without issue in Mint. Many have probably read it already but here are Mark Shuttleworth's comments on the issue directly:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/84
jars_u
Level 1
Level 1

Postby katasuka on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:33 am

i think including the official nvidia driver would be great. i use only nvidia graphics cards as they have never failed me.
katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

Postby YourDoom123 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:36 pm

you should go talk to the guys at sabayon... they figured out a way to delink the nvidia/ati binary blobs from the kernel, and then dynamically link it back in at run time so that all legal requirements are fulfilled, but it also becomes very easy for the user. I'll do some research and help you out if I can.
YourDoom123
Level 1
Level 1

Postby katasuka on Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:14 am

i already have the official nvidia drivers installed, i always install them after i install any distro. i was just saying that including the nvidia drivers in a distro is a good idea since nvidia is popular and the official drivers work so well.
katasuka
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Non-technical Questions