hey clem, wireless question

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

hey clem, wireless question

Postby trippboxer on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:23 pm

hey man, hate to bug you again but i got something for you to check out. i use an HP DV-2000 laptop. all of the linux distributions i have tried failed to recognize that there was even an onboard wireless system (broadcom airforce one 4318). I did however get mepis to pick it up immediately and with ndis wrapper and wireless assistant was able to connect (FINALLY). I was wondering what mepis has in it's distro that most of the other distros don't that allow it to connect. anyways, i am still using mint and loving it, but only on my desktop computer. my laptop is using mepis because it's the only one to recognize my wireless hardware.
trippboxer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:01 pm

Hi,

I really don't know. The good news though is that ndiswrapper will be there Bea and hopefully will make your card work.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

wireless help for other newbies

Postby trippboxer on Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:33 pm

I found that if you use Kpackage to find ndiswrapper that there is also a graphical interface that you can use that helps to automate the process. then all you have to do is to browse for the driver, click on it and it will be installed. also there are other ndis add ons that you can download that already include some of the most used drivers. for all newbies i recommend doing this, as there is nothing to type. but you do have to be hooked up to the net to download ndis, so you need to plug it in.

newbie ndis checklist.

1. use kpackage to search for ndis wrapper. there are about 5 of them. download all of them and insall them. one of them is the graphical user interface and the others include drivers.
2. download the driver for the wireless system you are using. if you don't know go looking through your hardware lists in the admin sections.
3. in the connections window make sure to turn off all connections.
4. when you find out which connection carries your wireless lan make sure that it is set up for automatic (dhcp)
5. under the wireless tab type in the word "any" without the quotes.
6. when the ndis wrapper is installed it will be listed as windows wireless drivers in the menu somewhere. click on that and add your driver by browsing for it.
7. if you havn't already downloaded wireless assistant then go into kpackage search for it and install it.
8. open wireless assistant.
9. turn on the wireless connection.
10. look for the network name in the list on wireless assistant.
11. if you have made it this far then click on the desired wireless network and it should connect.

in case none of this works then i don't know. i can duplicate this for most computers i use but i can't guarantee it works for everyone. also kpackage is very useful in setting up ndis wrapper and wireless assistant. this is as simple as i can get it.

vaportrail
trippboxer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:38 am

Hi,

The graphical utility is ndisgtk and it will be in Bea.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Non-technical Questions