Good to see LinuxMint

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Good to see LinuxMint

Postby ElZorro on Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:02 am

Hi Thanks for LinuxMint, so nice to have the codecs mainly working, a nice channge fom the open source zealotry.
I am sure the not open source harware driver people are only too glad to supply Linux drivers, more sales for them.
Same for the wincodecs, and plugins etc, non open source mediia folks only benefit, and open souce despite the zealots is not hurt either, the only people who spoil things are the lawers and patents, greed personified.
Hope a proper KDE centic linuxmint comes to pass like the beta version was..
I have installed KDE5.5 and Kubuntu-desktop, but it still ihas that pesky Gnome login screen persists,, despite being Kubuntu.
I will donate if a KDE centric version appears, perhaps next release?
Cheers
El Zorro
PS so much better than that other cut down pure open source ubuntu-based Irish release
last week to be sure!
Sloan Lan
ElZorro
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Praxis on Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:04 am

Try from the command line:
sudo apt-get install kdm
It will ask you if you want to replace GDM with KDM. I installed KDE 3.5.5 by picking and choosing KDE applications rather than the 'kubuntu-desktop' route because the bizarre Kubuntu KDE customizations (like disabling the Konqueror main tool bar) irritate me.

Does Mint give you the Kubuntu customizations when you do the kubuntu-desktop install?
Praxis
Level 1
Level 1

Thanx for the reply

Postby ElZorro on Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:24 am

Hi,
when I installed kubuntu-desktop after KDE5.5 the whole shebang, the desktop took ages and did heaps of customization. I chose kdm by default, but I was still left with that pesky Gnome login just the same. Konqueror seems to have all its menus by the way.
Cheers
El Zorro 8)
ElZorro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Praxis on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:17 am

To get KDM try this command:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
I hate the Kubuntu customizations, so as I mentioned, I installed KDE by individual packages. As a result when I first booted to KDM I got some annoying message about not finding /usr/share/apps/kdm/theme. It still worked, I just had to dismiss the message. I However sudo apt-get install kdmtheme kde-kdm-themes gave me a kcontrol module that allowed me to switch to one of three themes. You might also have to install some of these packages:
kubuntu-artwork-usplash kubuntu-grub-splashimages kubuntu-artwork-kbfx
Praxis
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions