Artwork and visual identity of Bea - poor.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Artwork and visual identity of Bea - poor.

Postby valent on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:35 am

Hi,
I used Mint Linux 2.0 and instantly loved it! I didn't miss mint linux artwork and branding. I installed new Bea (Beta) and I'm a bit dissapointed in artwork I must honestly say.

Gnome menu is just low quality, and there are too many letters; "Mint Linux" can't go on such small surface. Please consider using just "Mint" or just the logo for the gnome menu.

I think that untill you have some artwork you are proud of you shouldn't force someting that just doesn't look good.

You should put Mint Linux wallpaper as a default, that is the best way to start good branding of your distribution. Leave the smaller parts for later.

Also boot screen looks dodgy.

Sorry for the rough comments but I think that constructive comments are always better than empty praise.

I LOVE Mint linux and I'm sure I'll recomment it to many people, but just don't do someting in hurry and mess the nice ubuntu interface untill you have proper artwork for replaceing.

Thanj you once more for your effort.
valent
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:20 am

Hi Valent,

I agree with you. However we needed to replace Ubuntu's artwork because we can't define different goals and still use their names. We are not Ubuntu and I don't think Ubuntu would like us to create confusion on that.

The artwork is far from perfect but it is very easy for the user to revert back to the Ubuntu artwork. Our release cycle is more or less one month at the moment and artwork is one of the priority in Bianca, so hopefully this will improve.

You've probably seen the two new logos for Linux Mint. They'll be there in Bianca. If you don't like the Gnome menu for Bea, you can change the icon set to "Barbara" (present in Bea) and you'll get a blue Ubuntu logo instead.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Georgie-o on Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:58 am

I actually like just about everything as far as the looks go, including the boot screen.
Georgie-o
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions