linux mint and automatix

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

linux mint and automatix

Postby soomon on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:08 am

him
as i am used to install much via automatix i saw that automatix doesnt recognise already installed tools from linux mint. it told me the ff plugins are not installed, it always tells me it wants to uninstall jre when i want to install it.. seems there is something to be fixed to make it recognise the already installed packages?
or is this only a problem i have?
thanks & greets,
soomon
soomon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:08 am

Hi,

Automatix is made for Ubuntu, not for Linux Mint :) It probably assumes to find a certain configuration and doesn't actually check what is installed. Also, Automatix is not used to create Linux Mint, so it's possible some applications get installed in a different way.

I would personally not recommend to use Automatix on Linux Mint.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby scorp123 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:26 pm

clem wrote:I would personally not recommend to use Automatix on Linux Mint.

I did use automatix on "Barbara". I installed the whole truckload of stuff it had to offer, on purpose. No visible side effects so far, everything just works as it did before.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby antiquexray on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:37 pm

clem wrote:Hi,

Automatix is made for Ubuntu, not for Linux Mint :) It probably assumes to find a certain configuration and doesn't actually check what is installed. Also, Automatix is not used to create Linux Mint, so it's possible some applications get installed in a different way.

I would personally not recommend to use Automatix on Linux Mint.

Clem

What do you recommend, and how is it done, in order to load some of those things found on Automatix that I've needed? I had no problem with Barbara using Automatix.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby clem on Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:14 pm

Well it depends what you need.. and if everybody needs it then we should think of including it by default.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Automatix

Postby jude on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:35 am

Instead of using Automatix just goto Applications > Add/Remove. You can browse for applications or search by title. I think that's the easiest way yet to install and find apps.
jude
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Automatix

Postby scorp123 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:14 am

jude wrote:Instead of using Automatix just goto Applications > Add/Remove. You can browse for applications or search by title. I think that's the easiest way yet to install and find apps.

Some stuff is only available via automatix.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Non-technical Questions