attention programmers, and clem.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

attention programmers, and clem.

Postby trippboxer on Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:57 pm

I have only been using linux for about 2 months now but absolutely love it. I don't know anything about programming but wish I did so that I could contribute to the community but I can't. Anyways, I have an idea for linux mint on a usb flash drive, let's call it "MINT FLASH". it's not just a standard usb installation but something I think that would catch on like wildfire if it was created. Here goes.

a completely modular flash drive install program. an installation program that would

1. allow you to install Mint onto a flash drive.
2. allow you to make a boot CD if your PC can't boot from flash.

Now here is the cool part. on the menu where you would opt to install the system onto a flash drive it would have a list of all available applications with a check box next to each one. You would be allowed to pick which applications went into the Micro distro that went onto the drive. that way you could have an office ap here, an internet browser here, a simple media viewer, or any combination of applications that you wanted, any ways you wanted it as long as you have a flash drive large enough.

think about it. only the programs you need or want with just a few clicks of the mouse on a flash drive. you could literally cut down on the size of the system and then next week do a fresh install with more apps.

also, a setting and savings folder that you could transfer to the computer so that you could install a fresh batch of applications and put the folder back into the drive so that it would still have all documents and settings.

just an idea. I wonder if anyone will ever create this or something like it.

later,
trippboxer
trippboxer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: attention programmers, and clem.

Postby antiquexray on Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:42 pm

trippboxer wrote:

I really like this idea, but like you, I have no idea how to do it.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Psycho on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:11 pm

Very nice idea! What do others think about it? Clem?
Psycho
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:17 pm

It's a nice idea. If someone wants to investigate this further I have no problem making a sub-project for it.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Re: attention programmers, and clem.

Postby Zoltan on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:31 am

antiquexray wrote:
trippboxer wrote:

I really like this idea, but like you, I have no idea how to do it.

That is a very nice idea. But there are several problems with it if I remember correctly.....
1. Most apps are dinamically compiled. Not static. Static compiling ensures that app remain usable, and mobilizable. If you compiling with static option, you will see the application size will be really HUGE.
2. If you leave it "as is" the packages, without minimizing, recompiling, and you mobilize it - then could be happen that app will be unusable, errors comes through, or simply crashing down - that's clear. So, you need to be rebuild step by step EVERY packages with static option to installable deb. With so you could have an custom distro, but - hw, sw support, chosen GUI MUST be shorted, and carefully thinked through.

Or if you are want to every time rebuild your choosed apps into an custom mini distro? Okay. Great. Count on source and its size, minimum compiling system (that size is around 300MB wich needed, if I good know), and other things like proc type, compiling time, how many apps you would add to it with wich purpose.....

BUT There are few famous projects - wich are targeting similar things of these what you tought. Like Puppy linux, or Damn Small Linux. These projects sizes are targeted in 50 'til 100 Mb - but behind it there are a lot of work, many tinkering job also. These are running from ramdrive, and could be started from CD, Pendrive, or even (if you want DSL only) from under windows (runs with cygwin??? ) :idea: backup - restoring - repair - diagnostic - benchmarking operation from under win!! :idea: ).

:idea: Hey, could we add to Mint backup - restoring - repair - diagnostic - benchmarking apps to the LIVE CD???
Could we use one of them to our purpose?

And maybe Mint will be the first, wich has an real backup - restoring - repair - diag benchmarking system integrated in LIVE CD also......
Zoltan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions