I like it!

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

I like it!

Postby Gramps on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:56 pm

I like the LinuxMint 2.1 beta I have installed. The only suggestion I can make is to make it as easy to use as possible. There are many out here like myself who are older and/or technically challanged :oops: We don't understand any of the lingo associated with linux. Don't know how to enter commands. Many of us have very poor internet connections or none at all, we can't access the forum so maybe some help files with the CD. Just a thought, don't know how applicable or practicle it is to you. :D Sorry to bother you.

Gramps
Gramps
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:06 pm

Hi Gramps,

Nice to hear from you again. The stable version of Bea was released and it comes with mintDesktop which features a tutorial on how to do certain things.

We're also gathering howtos and they will be included in the next version.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby techne on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:18 pm

Bundled How-tos would be great, but I am wondering if the Linux Mint community ought to eventually create its own manual like Ubuntu did. (I am thinking of The Official Ubuntu Book, but I am not expecting that we would get it published. A PDF or hypertext manual is what I have in mind.)
techne
Level 1
Level 1

Postby trippboxer on Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:12 am

the only problem that i see about making a manual is that you couldn't have a printed version due to the speed at which linux progresses. something written today would change tomorrow when something better comes out. an online version could be changed immediately and kept up to date though.
trippboxer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby techne on Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:06 am

The problem is that online access is not equal access for everybody. Somebody might get temporary online access to download the distribution but not have constant access to online materials.

My idea is that there are certain aspects of any distribution that do not change that newcomers need to learn. At the very least, they need that kind of information offline.

Online documents are appropriate for incremental changes in information, but something more substantial such as a serious introduction to a distribution needs to be available in an offline form.

Put another way, why should we freeze out people like Gramps from accessing the necessary information for working with Linux Mint daily?
techne
Level 1
Level 1

Postby quickstart on Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:24 am

The only Linux book I've bought was pretty useless to be honest, just a How-To guide for Mandrake as it turned out.

I've learned about Linux almost exclusively from sites like this. Oh, and a little bit of trial and error..

Ever had a book about Unix as bedtime reading? At least I only borrowed that one from the library.. :shock:

Some of the best technical books I've read over the years have been from Babani publishing. Most seem to be written by a certain Mr Penfold who I recall wrote for electronic hobby magazines years ago.

Merry Christmas all.. :D Alan.[/quote]
Celeron 2.8 Ghz 512 MB RAM 2* 80 gb HDD dual-boot Linux Mint / Xubuntu 6.10

AMD Duron 800Mhz 256 MB RAM 20 gb HDD Xubuntu 6.10
quickstart
Level 1
Level 1

I like it!

Postby npap on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:33 am

Hello quickstart, Merry Christmas.

Quote:
"If Linux is so good, how come I can't get all that spyware and virus stuff...?"

Well, it's a good question. I think, Clem should include some of that stuff in the next version of Mint. :o lol

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I like it!

Postby npap on Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:56 am

Gramps wrote:I like the LinuxMint 2.1 beta I have installed. The only suggestion I can make is to make it as easy to use as possible. There are many out here like myself who are older and/or technically challanged :oops: We don't understand any of the lingo associated with linux. Don't know how to enter commands. Many of us have very poor internet connections or none at all, we can't access the forum so maybe some help files with the CD. Just a thought, don't know how applicable or practicle it is to you. :D Sorry to bother you.

Gramps

Hello again Gramps,
They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I am probably an older dog than you. And believe me I used to hate the damn Terminal and commands. That dark background, it seems, was put there to scare us newbies off.

Well, I got to like it when somebody showed me what I can do with it. It's not so bad really. After all, who needs the thing anymore. Most of the software you would want to download is found in the Synaptic, and Clem has taken care of that too.
Besides Clem was kind enough to make the terminal less scary to the beginner and more fun to use.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.
Regards, npap

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Non-technical Questions