wifi broadcom strangness

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

wifi broadcom strangness

Postby Peakpc on Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:41 pm

I like bea enough to put it on my Compaq Presario V5000 laptop and with a hardwire connection its great! but, wifi is not working even with the windows wireless network drivers "BCMWl5" loaded and following the step by step of your very thoughtful html doc. iwconfig lists wireless as eth1 and ifconfig does not list eth1 as existing so the command "up" brings an error massage. I would very much like to make it work but I can't seem to get any further. Any help would be appreciated :?: [/img][/list]
Peakpc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:13 pm

give us the output of iwconfig... and the name of your wifi network (essid).
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Sorry

Postby Peakpc on Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:19 am

I am very greatful for you time, Tankyou for all your work. great distro!

I had to drop Mint from my system for a time, when I get back to reloading, if it happens again you haven't allready found a sollution I will remember to get some screen shots of iwconfig.
Peakpc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby trippboxer on Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:09 am

hey man i have the same problem. i have an HP dv8000 with a broadcom airforce one wireless lan device. unfortunately mint doesn't automatically pick it up and turn it on. my laptop has a blue light that will turn on when the wireless device is working. the only linux that i have gotten to work on my broadcom wireless is mepis linux. mepis is nice but i want mint. so i have mint on my home computer and mepis on my laptop.

until this problem is fixed i hope this helps
trippboxer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Psycho on Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:44 pm

I have the absolutely same problem with mit Acer Aspire 5024 with integrated broadcom wlan!
I think the problem is that the card has to be turned on with the wlan-button but this one only works with windoze. I tried a programm named acer-acpi which should be able get the button working but I didn't really manage it :?

Maybe someone more experienced could try to solve this :cry:
Psycho
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Peakpc on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:13 am

Try this post http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... eless+acer it worked for me! All pointers for this topic should point there. 8)
Peakpc
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions