Mint is too !#@$ good!

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Mint is too !#@$ good!

Post by laofzu »

With most Linux distributions, I spend my time going through the forums trying to find answers to problems with hardware or applications. With Mint 3.0, I don't have any problems to fix, so I have nothing to do but read the forum posts to see if anything new and interesting is coming soon. I must say this gives me lots more free time for a good game of Civ4 through Cedega. Keep up the good work, and add some more items to the software portal for me to play with. Things like FreeCol and FreeRails would be excellent. I know they are java, but there should be a way to make better installers and entries in the menu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Welcome and we are glad you like Mint.

Participation is the key to improving Mint so any suggestions or solutions you have are much appreciated.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

Hello Boo,

Great job on the KDE version!!! I tried it out, but still prefer a Gnome desktop. I didn't see a restricted drivers installer for my Nvidia graphics card. Maybe I missed it as I am not as familiar with the KDE menu layout as I am with Gnome. I run it on my backup machine where all I need is an FTP server for file storage. I also use this machine to try out new distros as most of them can run Proftpd without any problems.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

envy is the app you want to use to install your Nvidia/ati graphic drivers.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

Thanks for the tip, I haven't tried Envy in the KDE version of Mint. I know it doesn't work in the Gnome version. It goes through the motions, but when you reboot, you get x-server error messages. Then you have to reinstall or run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to straighten it out. In the Gnome version of Mint, this is not a problem because I don't use it, I just use the restricted drivers application instead.

Also, I didn't notice a weather application for the KDE version. I really like the one in Gnome, and along with the simpler menu structure, these are the reasons I prefer Gnome over KDE. If Google adds their gadgets to the Linux version of Google Desktop, then there should be a decent substitute for what I am using in Gnome.

I will keep playing with the KDE version. Who knows, I may learn to love it yet.

Roland

Return to “Non-technical Questions”