Metacity window button placement in Mint 9

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fredbird67

Metacity window button placement in Mint 9

Post by fredbird67 »

I just saw where for Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), they're planning to break with tradition and put the minimize, maximize, and close buttons at the left end of the Metacity titlebar instead of at the right end. I hope and pray that Mint doesn't do the same thing with that when Isabella comes out, because I vehemently disagree with this move by Ubuntu.

Even though I know where to edit the Metacity button placements in the GNOME Configuration Editor, if Mint should also move its Metacity buttons to the left and Merlwiz also does that with XFWM in Mint Xfce, I will be switching to a completely different distro in protest. That's how strongly I disagree with that move, because I fear that it would hinder Linux use among people seeking to dump Windows, which, of course, puts their titlebar buttons on the right.

Even though I've been a Linux user for over 5 years now (I've had half a dozen or so different distros installed on my computer during that time) and am comfortable with using the command line, I still insist on running a Linux distribution that someone wanting to dump Windows can feel right at home with, and the idea of moving the titlebar buttons to the left is something that I think would undermine that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Metacity window button placement in Mint 9

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

That is rather childish. I love them on the left and i have to tweak them because I use all macs. That is what i am used to - I do not refuse to use Mint because i have to tweak them to the left. If you know how to tweak them - then that is not a big deal. I hate them on the right due to my habit after 9 years or so with macs. But if you must then we may not see you around here any more i guess. Good luck. :)
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

GrayWizard,

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

If a Windows user refuses to switch to Mint or any other Linux distro just because the window buttons are not where he expects them, he's not ready to change anyway and would probably quit Linux and go back to Windows at the slightest provocation. So let the buttons be where they will be. As you say, it's easy enough to change them if you want to.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Aging Technogeek wrote:GrayWizard,

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

If a Windows user refuses to switch to Mint or any other Linux distro just because the window buttons are not where he expects them, he's not ready to change anyway and would probably quit Linux and go back to Windows at the slightest provocation. So let the buttons be where they will be. As you say, it's easy enough to change them if you want to.
:D :D :D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
fredbird67

Post by fredbird67 »

OK, a little more clarification -- the reason I have a problem with this is because someone coming to Ubuntu or Mint or whatever from Windows isn't gonna know right offhand that they can change that, let alone where to make the changes. Remember, Windows doesn't give one all these freedoms to, in this case, radically alter the desktop beyond just a few color changes, ergo, they're not used to having the ability to change that, and therefore, I think they'll see that and probably won't stick around long enough to see that that can be changed. Seriously, I've tried to convert others to Linux, and each and every one of 'em has gone back to Windows. Y'all know what I mean? Personally, I think Ubuntu is shooting itself in the foot with such a move.

That said, if this happens in the GNOME version of Mint 9, I'll wait a little while longer and see if that's present in the XFCE or LXDE versions (I'm not considering KDE, because I used to be a big-time KDE fan until KDE 4 came out, and I think KDE 4.x SUCKS!) before I jump ship, as that'll be a last resort for me, and if either the XFCE or LXDE version keeps 'em on the right, I'll stay, but I'll switch to one of those versions of Mint instead. Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere else just yet, but I don't like this move that Ubuntu's advocating with the Metacity button placement. It's a BAD move, IMHO.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

I did not know either but I read some stuff and I eventually found out how.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Why are they switching them anyway, what's their reasoning?

Not that I'm bothered because I'll just change it but just wondering why after all these years that they want them on the left...
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I find the buttons on the left to be much more convenient and intuitive. It's the first thing I do whenever I install a new distro (which is rarely because I use Mint almost exclusively at this point). We read left to right. Most of the rest of the screen is set up from left to right (menus, an unmodified panel, etc). So why shouldn't the buttons be laid out left to right?

You're very misguided in your apprehension here. I have to agree completely with GrayWizard and Aging Technogeek; if button placement is a factor in someone's appreciation of Mint, they aren't ready to make the switch yet.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

just found this - not sure if it is useful here but adding it anyways:
http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analy ... u-anything
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Chasester

Post by Chasester »

funny article. but all the same I agree.

I wouldn't mind if they had them on the lower left either - heck if we're going for performance that's the spot.

As it is with Windows I'll Alt+f4 because it's faster than moving the darn mouse all the way upppppppppppppp and over there.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Clem posted a blog yesterday that goes through features developed for Isadora. It contained his decision about the buttons.

Clem, never offer me your job. I don't want it, and wouldn't even if I could make a fortune at it. I do thank you sincerely for putting up with us.

Tempests in teapots, mountains and mole hills, left or right buttons. SIGH
zenfarm

Post by zenfarm »

I like the buttons on the left: anti-windows.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

It's starting to really get to me how much people care about the stupid buttons. Clem decided to leave them on the right as they were, but what difference does that make to anyone?

It doesn't matter! At all! Not one little bit!

I don't know why I even keep posting in these threads. Probably because it annoys me so much to see all of these people commenting on the blog with things like "So glad the buttons are staying!!!" as if they couldn't just fix it in 15 seconds as ikey showed.

On a lighter note, the improvements for Isadora look great :)
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

The thing with the buttons is that Ubuntu is playing a publicity stunt the brown color is no longer working so it trying to call attention switching the stupid buttons the the other side. so they can keep people talking about Ubuntu. you know the saying "no matter if they talk goo or bad about you as long as they talk"

the sad thing is that we are trying to get more users to linux and this stupid decision from Mark is not going to help at all unless he is getting paid by Bill.......to scare more people from lunux
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

frank392 wrote:we are trying to get more users to linux and this stupid decision from Mark is not going to help at all unless he is getting paid by Bill.......to scare more people from lunux
:lol:

Now we know the real motivation behind moving the window buttons!!!
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Or is the real reason to be found with the Ubuntu team.
Interestingly, it would seem that many of the artists that created this new design were using Apple Macs and proprietary software as their developing platform.
as found in a LinuxUser & Developer article posted by
Dave (@Daviey) is a Ubuntu community leader,
Oh, the tangled webs we weave.

Quit worrying about it.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Aw,.man, but I liked the idea of Shuttleworth being paid off by Gates to scare people away from using Linux! :lol:
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

MALsPa wrote:Aw,.man, but I liked the idea of Shuttleworth being paid off by Gates to scare people away from using Linux! :lol:
Then again, maybe his pay-off came from Jobs. Wonder why they couldn't develop it on an Ubuntu platform? :lol:
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Personally I'm glad Clem is keeping the buttons on the right, but even if he wasn't I'd simply move them back with Ubuntu Tweak. Everyone is making a big deal out of nothing. This reminds me of the last controversy where Ubuntu decided not to include GIMP by default anymore, and the community had a fit over that too. I don't understand the point in getting all upset over stuff that can be fixed in a minute.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

People expect something they can be comfortable and familiar with, which the Mint Menu strives to do, make things simpler and more familiar to those coming across from MS. Changing such a thing is only going to confuse and make some some feel off-put. It's hardly childish. Mint promises ease of use, and familiarity. Just because some here are comfortable changing them back if they so desire does not mean others are, or indeed even realise they can. Change for the sake of change is not a good enough reason. If some prefer it that way, fine, they can be the ones to put them there. But most are used to them being on the right. It's instinct for many, and most don't like having to change what has become instinctive just because some wealthy SA self-appointed Dictator has decided it should be so.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”