English language hiccups

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

English language hiccups

Post by Helmut »

Hi folks,
I have Cassandra on my box and like it a lot. It is a very fine OS, perhaps the best of all. However, I have noticed a few annoyances:

1) When installing Mint in English, I get American! American is and was the lowest common denominator for verbal communication amongst the immigrants of America, and that certainly can not be rightfully called English.

2) When re-installing in English-UK ( why not simply "English"?) and after installing KLettres, that language-learning application comes up in American. Now there has long been an English version of KLettres which would be expected to appear, but it wrongly comes up in American. I most certainly don't want my children to learn that sort of dialect, and would really very much appreciate having the English version especially if English was chosen as the primary language in Mint.
Cheers,
Helmut.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Perhaps you would enlighten us as to the problems you have with the American English installation language of Linux Mint. Please provide examples of what you consider to be incorrect or annoying English. Oh, and if you would, kindly do so without offending the American members of this forum.
Thank you!
Ken
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

Ken, let me make one thing clear. I certainly don't want to offend anyone. Those living in regions such as the UK, Australia or New Zeeland know very well why they prefer English to American. Aside from that, if you choose "English" you don't want American, just as if you ask for tea you get coke instead.
As for the annoyance having an American installation instead of English, there a many aspects to that. I do not wish to elaborate on that for obvoius reasons. However, when I install a language-learning application for my children in English, I certainly do not want them to be taught American dialect! Its as simple as that.
Cheers,
Helmut
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Helmut,

I don't want to get into an argument over language, but I fail to see where the installation has anything to do with American or UK English. Except for some minor spelling variations and colloquialisms (which should not be in the installation wording) the written language is basically the same. I am interested in what you consider American English, so that is why I asked for examples. Perhaps there is some incorrect language in the installation.

BTW, the installation was not written by an American, as far as I know. If you are referring to the desktop or Mint menu, I have "colour" (the UK spelling) in mine.

As for Klettres, I am not familiar with that program so I have no comments on it.

Regards,
Ken
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

Ken,

I don't want to get in an argument over language either. The basic English/American language during installation and the resulting wording or captions on the desktop are almost the same in either language. Differences become obvious when further applications are installed. OpenOffice or KLettres for example are both language applications. These apps look at what language is installed as default, and carry on from there. If American or "English/US" became default installation language although "English" was initially chosen during Mint setup, then those apps will install themselves in American. Users that had actually chosen English during Mint install will find OpenOffice or KLettres running in American. Although OpenOffice can be switched to change, KLettres will only install in either American or English depending on what runs on the box as default. Therefore it would be beneficial if the chosen language during Mint install would actually become default. At the moment this is not so. The problem concerns not only Mint, but probably every Linux installation.
Cheers,
Helmut
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

So you are mainly concerned with spelling then? ie. License and licence, center and centre, honor and honour, etc? I can't think of any other differences in writing other than possibly some items in the dictionary, ie. bonnet and hood, lift and elevator, lorry and truck, etc. Hardly worthy of a rant about "lowest common denominator" or "not English"!

Ken
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Quoting Helmut:
American is and was the lowest common denominator for verbal communication amongst the immigrants of America, and that certainly can not be rightfully called English.

TOO MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING! That is the question!

Why so much fuss over a language that is totally imperfect, whether it is called 'English' or 'American'.
Most words have two or three, and sometimes more meanings: A word may be a verb, a noun or an adjective, depending on the context.
That is the reason why Babel Fish is, most of the time, confused. :)

How about the lack of grammar or rules? :( ( Why 'ladies', but not 'womens' or womans?) :lol:
And where do you see the 'f' in cough or enough? why not cow in cough or thoff in though ( Tho ? ):lol:

Why not they has (plural)?
And to make the language more confusing, the lack of punctuation ( very commonly seen in communication among people ), makes it even more difficult to understand the real meaning of a written message.

Sorry for the harsh criticism, fellows. But why so much fuss about The letre and The letter. The latter is a good attempt at simplifying the language.
I am in favor or favour of simplicity.
I guess it's a matter of English ego. :)

My apologies if I have offended somebody's pride. :)

All in good humor, your friend, Blogger
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

No, I'm certainly not wanting to argue about the virtues of a particular language, and virtues are not not "just a matter of spelling".

Don't you agree, if you choose a particular language you should not get another?
As far as other language apps are concerned, some switch their language to be installed according to whatever is default in the OS. So if you had one particular English dialect, the installation of such apps would follow the default of the OS.

But what if you chose "A" during Linux installation and got "B" instead? What if you would follow up the OS installation with a language application and got the wrong dialect? Wouldn't that be annoying?

I think install should do what is expected and install whatever was chosen.
Cheers,
Helmut.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”