Faster Boot Time

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tonyhealy
Level 1
Level 1

Faster Boot Time

Post by tonyhealy »

Any possibility of incorporating initng into Mint?
This appeared in distrowatch today:-
Over the last year or so we have seen much effort among Linux distribution to replace the ancient init system of booting Linux/UNIX with a more modern, faster implementation of the boot process. One way of increasing the boot speed of Debian GNU/Linux (and other distributions) is by replacing its SysVinit system with initng: "The old init system loads services one after the other; initng makes booting faster by loading services in a parallel fashion. There is no reason that process X can't use the CPU while process Y is reading data from disk. Installing initng on Debian 'Lenny' was as simple as installing any other software package. Here are installation instructions for most distributions, installing initng won't mess up the old init systems and you can easily go back when initng doesn't suit you or if it doesn't work. The speed increase I got from booting wasn't that awesome but it was nice. The old init system booted my workstation to the KDM login manager in 23.9 seconds. Booting using initng took 13.2 seconds, so it's nice but nothing jaw-dropping.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Can you post a simple how to in this thread? Share with the forum :)
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I also read the article on Distrowatch. If you should find a "How To". please post a link.
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

I found einit more painful to set up, but much faster. You should take a look at that too, although it was designed with Gentoo users in mind.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”