Suggestions from OpenSuse 10.2

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Suggestions from OpenSuse 10.2

Postby scottje1 on Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:32 am

Hello All,

Thanks for the wonderful distribution. After fiddling around with Mepis, Ubuntu, OpenSuse lately, I am now happily settled on LinuxMint. However, my experience with the new OpenSuse distro was also great, only it was a bit of a resource hog. Nevertheless, it was the only other distro to support my standard Intel wireless chipset and WPA out of the box, and has some great features:

The menu (particularly the menu used in KDE) is fantastic. Once you get used to it, you never want to change, particularly with the integrated search-as-you-type to find applications, documents, whatever. I would love to have that installed in Linux Mint.

YaST - the system configuration tool I prefer to the one in LinuxMint. It allows more options and more configuration from one place.

The only other feature, not in any Linux Distribution (or in Windows for that matter) is an easy way to change IP Addresses/Store static IP addresses/change from DHCP to Static IP. I have a laptop, which connects to multiple wireless networks, depending on where I am. At home I use a static IP address for the laptop, everywhere else DHCP. A simple way to change, or the ability to store it with the ssid in the Network Manager would be fantastic for us road warriors.

Thanks again, enjoy the distro.

Scott.
scottje1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:48 am

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. The menu is called Slab and we're looking at the possibility to add it into Mint. We're also working on a similar control center called mintConfig.

The search option is called Beagle. In SUSE it's integrated within the menu. In Linux Mint 2.1 you can find it in the panel (the magnifying glass on the top right of your screen).

I believe it is up to the Network Manager development team to do something about static IPs to improve their software. It's already great but as you mentioned, it doesn't make it easy to switch in and out of non-DHCPed networks.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby techne on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:38 am

Just wanted some clarification...

I believe it is up to the Network Manager development team to do something about static IPs to improve their software.

Is this a GNOME desktop application or an Ubuntu only application?
techne
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:47 am

It's not included by default in Ubuntu. It's more of a Gnome project. See their website: http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby scottje1 on Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:34 pm

The menu is called Slab and we're looking at the possibility to add it into Mint. We're also working on a similar control center called mintConfig.

Fantastic to hear about this. The menu makes for a much improved UI.

The search option is called Beagle. In SUSE it's integrated within the menu. In Linux Mint 2.1 you can find it in the panel (the magnifying glass on the top right of your screen).

Thanks, I'm aware of Beagle being included and do use it (actually, I prefer the nifty little deskbar) - but the way Beagle is integrated into the menu in SuSE I prefer. Also, Beagle does not seem to work by default in searching for applications and allowing execution (although the deskbar does)

I believe it is up to the Network Manager development team to do something about static IPs to improve their software. It's already great but as you mentioned, it doesn't make it easy to switch in and out of non-DHCPed networks

I thought this might be the case. Through YaST in SUSE it was a touch easier to deal with static IP addresses. I do appreciate the network manager as it is a really handy tool, but I understand from the Network Manager project page that the problem with integrating Static IP's is differences between how they are handled in different Distros. The best thing I actually ever had was a widget for Konfabulator (now Yahoo! Widget Engine, which I removed for being a resource hog on my XP Partition) called IPSwap: http://www.widgetgallery.com/view.php?widget=37514

I wonder if something like this could run on top of Network Manager, which would be the ideal solution. Now I'm just rambling. Other than these minor gripes, I love the distro. It strikes a good balance between performance and usability (although a touch more eye-candy wouldn't hurt, or a Dock Application such as in OSX by default, or a better weather widget). Now, if only my laptop had an NVidia card and not an ATI, I'd be really happy - but I guess I can't blame you for that.

Thanks guys, keep up the good work, and you will continue to have a loyal user.
scottje1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scottje1 on Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:46 pm

This may also be of interest, slated for the next Ubuntu release:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkRoaming
scottje1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mh4 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:54 pm

We have a topic about porting Yast on Ubuntu:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86
mh4
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Non-technical Questions