Plain text mode

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Plain text mode

Post by scorp123 »

KernelJ wrote: After changing my /etc/fstab to include some FAT and NTFS partitions, which are perfectly okay but get stuck on a file-system check and hang the startup, I can't run Linux Mint.
In that case you obviously did something wrong. :wink:
KernelJ wrote: I have often thought that Linux distros should have a plain text, safe mode that bypasses mounting, many of the normal initialisation commands, and allows the user access to a command-line shell. I set up my own GRUB and menu.lst, so does such a boot option exist? That will bypass file system mounting other than the root Linux partition?
You mean single-user mode? Do you still have the "failsafe" boot options?

I don't have a Mint installation here ... but in general: You have to get into the GRUB selection menu (the one you'd see when the machine boots), then select a kernel line, then hit "e" to edit it. Add a "1" or the word "single" (not sure there, sorry ... try both) to the end of the kernel options, so that the entire line now says e.g.

Code: Select all

root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash vga=791 single
, then hit enter and then maybe "b" to boot that modified GRUB line.

Your Linux machine should now boot straight into single-user mode and ask for a 'root' password. Because there is none you probably just have to hit the ENTER key and you're in. I suggest you comment out (e.g. place a hash # sign) the lines you added to your /etc/fstab and then try a normal reboot.

Alternatively: Boot with a live CD, mount your harddisk and then repair /etc/fstab from there ... that's much easier for new users.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”