Linux Mint 3.1 is really nice. Thank you. :)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

You're not far from the truth. A .mint file is actually a tar file containing text files and eventually an icon to go with it. It can also contain binaries and stuff meant to end up on your computer but it hasn't been used that way yet. So in other words we could use it to make viruses and rootkits but so far we haven't had time for that and it's just a set of instructions to tell APT what to install.

This is a joke of course, but do remember that the protocol used by mintInstall and the format of the mint files would allow such things and anything inside the mint file or elsewhere to be run as root... for this reason you should always know where you get your mint files from and trust the portal or person which/who game them to you.

To my knowledge there are only two mint files suppliers at the moment, one of which is us... I suppose the same level of trust is required for deb files and therefore repositories.

Anyway, back to the main topic: I too am getting a new computer (great deal on a Dell Vostro - 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Intel Core 2 Duo E4400, 373 euro tax and shipping included if you live in Ireland) and it will come with Vista. I've never actually tried Vista before and although I'm pretty sure it's not going to stay on the HDD for long I actually can't wait to have a look at it.

Welcome to Mint :)
Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Think it is called madtux.com or something but the have 600 dollar Ubuntu laptops they sell there and they are rather decent. So most times linux laptops are a lot less expensive than their windows counterparts in all reality. Most Vista laptops cost 1,000+ and do do Macs so for a laptop to be available at 600 bucks I think is awsome.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”