Partitioning on instalation

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Partitioning on instalation

Postby Psycho on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:34 pm

Hey Guys!

What I dislike about the instalationprocess in most distributions is the part with the partitioning. OK, it is not really a problem for me but it could be a lot easier! Why, for example, should anybody format the whole harddisk to instal linux on a single partition? I guess this happens once in a million. Other recommendations would be more useful.

My suggestion would be to add an option "replace current linux-partitions with mint-linux". For example all HDA-partitions and the swap could be formated and afterwards Linux Mint installed on the partition where the previus root-system was.

Althouht I am not really a good programmer i guess this should not be that hard to implement and it would help people who are switching from other distros, like ubuntu. Also I think it would be something new which could make Linux Mint more popular.

What do you think about it? :wink:
Psycho
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Partitioning on instalation

Postby scorp123 on Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:54 pm

Psycho wrote: Why, for example, should anybody format the whole harddisk to instal linux on a single partition?
That would be wrong anyway. Putting a UNIX-like OS into one single partition is bad bad bad bad bad. If you do this as admin in a professional environment it will cost you your job :wink:

Psycho wrote: My suggestion would be to add an option "replace current linux-partitions with mint-linux".
And what if I have more than one distro already on the system? :?

Psycho wrote: i guess this should not be that hard to implement and it would help people who are switching from other distros, like ubuntu.
If you want to replace your previous installation(s), why not just select the same partitions as you did with the previous installation? Can't be that hard I think? :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Psycho on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:16 pm

scorp123 wrote:
Psycho wrote: Why, for example, should anybody format the whole harddisk to instal linux on a single partition?
That would be wrong anyway. Putting a UNIX-like OS into one single partition is bad bad bad bad bad. If you do this as admin in a professional environment it will cost you your job :wink:

I know but why is it listed there? Lets remove it :lol:
scorp123 wrote:
Psycho wrote: My suggestion would be to add an option "replace current linux-partitions with mint-linux".
And what if I have more than one distro already on the system? :?

Then you would do it the old fashioned way.

scorp123 wrote:
Psycho wrote: i guess this should not be that hard to implement and it would help people who are switching from other distros, like ubuntu.
If you want to replace your previous installation(s), why not just select the same partitions as you did with the previous installation? Can't be that hard I think? :wink:

It is not hard but which of the recommendations would be hard to do it yourself anyway? :lol:

I just wanted to say that there could be better recomendations instead of "Format whole disc".
Psycho
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:52 pm

Psycho wrote:I just wanted to say that there could be better recomendations instead of "Format whole disc".
Yes, I agree with that. There should be a button saying something like:
Code: Select all
Install Linux the right way, UNIX-style
And then the program looks at the disk, calculates sizes for /boot, /, /usr, /var, /home, swap and so on and you get an installation that would make every admin proud. :wink:

This "format the whole HD and install Linux there in one single partition" stuff should really be dropped, you are right with that.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby quickstart on Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:09 pm

Why not have two options: 1. Auto-install (basic)
2. Manual (advanced)
where 1 is as per scorp123's suggestion and 2 is for those who wish to do their own formatting?
Most users selecting 1 would be none the wiser anyway.
Alan.
Celeron 2.8 Ghz 512 MB RAM 2* 80 gb HDD dual-boot Linux Mint / Xubuntu 6.10

AMD Duron 800Mhz 256 MB RAM 20 gb HDD Xubuntu 6.10
quickstart
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:15 pm

At the moment we're using Ubiquity instead of our own installer so this is out of the scope of Linux Mint. It's an interesting discussion though.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Non-technical Questions