Multi-Desktop-Environment Linux Mint

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raffael
Level 1
Level 1

Multi-Desktop-Environment Linux Mint

Post by Raffael »

Is there any chance of a Multi-Desktop-Environment Linux Mint DVD version?

I don't know if it's even possible to have Gnome, KDE, XFCE on one Linux Mint installation like i.e. a menu at login screen in which you can choose which environment will be used for this session.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You can have multiple desktops (always) but there is more than the desktops that is different so the only way is multi boot...
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

huh? you can have as many different environments as you want, then choose from the gdm screen which one you want to boot into, i currently have kde4beta, icewm, Gnome, xfce
Husse

Post by Husse »

Should have been clearer. You can always use several desktops, but the difference between Mint gnome and kde andxfce is much more than the desktops. Mint KDE is not the same as a KDE desktop on the standard edition
Husse

Re: Multi-Desktop-Environment Linux Mint

Post by Husse »

As I stated above you can have any desktop running, but the Mint XFCE is more than just the desktop, it's different applications, settings, artwork and more. You'll have to reboot between two installs....
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ edbury
I've never tried or even looked much into session scripts, but it will be a pain in the ass and more places.... :)
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

i would like to just install the xfce wm to check it out, i have never tried it and would like to see what it's like, i may switch, who knows, that's what happened when i went from kde to gnome, almost a year ago now.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”