What are all the good things we can expect from Mint 11?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aelfinn

What are all the good things we can expect from Mint 11?

Post by aelfinn »

I’d love to hear from you about the improvements and new features that have you look forward to Linux Mint 11. To start us off, I’ll throw “Gnome 3” into the ring: seems to come with some interesting innovations—and it’s not Unity. ;>
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: What are all the good things we can expect from Mint 11?

Post by AlbertP »

The 2.6.38 kernel with some speed improvement.
Foomatic 4.0.7 which makes my Dell 3000cn printer work faster.
Support for graphics cards that are built-in into the CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge and AMD Fusion.

Newer versions of many other packages.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

I'm curious as to how the typical Linux Mint desktop is going to be delivered in the GNOME 3 fallback mode.

Given that Ubuntu 11.04 is using GNOME 2.32.1, Linux Mint will need to implement GNOME 3 without Ubuntu support or testing, and then modify the GNOME 3 fallback mode to support panel applets for the typical Linux Mint experience (mintMenu, mintUpdate, etc).

It seems like a lot more work than previous versions; I'm very interested to see how it develops. I think that by using GNOME 3, Linux Mint will gain another edge over Ubuntu, for users who dislike the implementation of Unity or who are more interested in GNOME 3.
mint123

Post by mint123 »

AlbertP wrote:The 2.6.38 kernel with some speed improvement.
Support for graphics cards that are built-in into the CPU: Intel Sandy Bridge and AMD Fusion.

Newer versions of many other packages.
Is Sandy Bridge with Julia just not going to work (well?) or will the kernel update alone solve that?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

They will indeed work fine when updating Julia's kernel to 2.6.38, but as you cannot use your screen to do that, you have to place the harddisk into another computer and back after the update.
manmath

Post by manmath »

AlbertP wrote:The 2.6.38 kernel with some speed improvement.
I don't know much about Sandy Bridge support. But AMD Fusion support is bit flaky in 2.6.38 kernel. It'll take some time improve the things.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Wait half a year on Mint 12 and it'll be fine. But at least the Fusion is able to display something, what did not work in 10.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”