Ubuntu 11.04

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ptah

Ubuntu 11.04

Post by ptah »

I am a long time Ubuntu user. I'm sure many of you have see the 11.04 debacle. I am consider switching to Mint. What are the odds that Mint will follow Ubuntu into the Unity hell?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Ubuntu 11.04

Post by wayne128 »

ptah wrote:I am a long time Ubuntu user. I'm sure many of you have see the 11.04 debacle. I am consider switching to Mint. What are the odds that Mint will follow Ubuntu into the Unity hell?

Not neccessary to speculate

Just need to download Mint 11RC ( just released) and run live to see it for yourself
ptah

Post by ptah »

How about the short answer, I don't have the band width right now, thanks.
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

Hello, fellow Ubuntu refugee!

In the short term, Mint will not have a release with Unity. The next Ubuntu-based release (LM 11) will ship with Gnome 2 and a "classic" desktop. In fact, you can already get the release candidate today:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=418994

In the long term, the Mint team has not said what their plans are. My hope is that they will make all of their releases based on Debian, as Ubuntu has become fat and insane in the last year or two. There's already a Debian-based Mint release that runs Gnome (LMDE), and it's by far my favorite Gnome distro. Debian is faster and less bloated than Ubuntu, and it's a "rolling" release (so no more clean installs every six months).

Personally I'd like to see a Mint Gnome 3 release with Gnome Shell, which I think is far better than Unity (although I don't think it's for everyone). I expect that the Mint team could create extensions and themes for Gnome Shell that would really make it shine. But if it's possible I'd also really like to see a Gnome panel ("classic") option for as long as it's supported with Gnome 3 (and that may be forever if the Gnome team listens to its community).

Even if Gnome does decide to move to Gnome Shell only in the future, if you don't like it you can always use Xfce. That's what I run now on my main system, and it's essentially a lean and mean version of Gnome 2. So far I don't miss anything in Gnome, so you might want to try that out now if you're up for something new.

Welcome to Mint!
ptah

Post by ptah »

Looked at the screen shots from the Mint RC page, so far so good. Let me tell you ... Canonical has just laid their Vista w/ 11.04. I can't describe how bad Unity is. Sad really.
ptah

Post by ptah »

michaelzap wrote:Hello, fellow Ubuntu refugee!

In the short term, Mint will not have a release with Unity. The next Ubuntu-based release (LM 11) will ship with Gnome 2 and a "classic" desktop. In fact, you can already get the release candidate today:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&p=418994

In the long term, the Mint team has not said what their plans are. My hope is that they will make all of their releases based on Debian, as Ubuntu has become fat and insane in the last year or two. There's already a Debian-based Mint release that runs Gnome (LMDE), and it's by far my favorite Gnome distro. Debian is faster and less bloated than Ubuntu, and it's a "rolling" release (so no more clean installs every six months).

Personally I'd like to see a Mint Gnome 3 release with Gnome Shell, which I think is far better than Unity (although I don't think it's for everyone). I expect that the Mint team could create extensions and themes for Gnome Shell that would really make it shine. But if it's possible I'd also really like to see a Gnome panel ("classic") option for as long as it's supported with Gnome 3 (and that may be forever if the Gnome team listens to its community).

Even if Gnome does decide to move to Gnome Shell only in the future, if you don't like it you can always use Xfce. That's what I run now on my main system, and it's essentially a lean and mean version of Gnome 2. So far I don't miss anything in Gnome, so you might want to try that out now if you're up for something new.

Welcome to Mint!
Thanks for that! I think I need to get back to core basic Linux.
veggen

Post by veggen »

Wait, a sec. Isn't Mint 11 coming with Gnome 3 just without Gnome Shell, not Gnome 2?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

nullifygirls wrote:I too use Ubuntu 10.10 last 1 year, I don't understand that how to update into 11.04.
Please suggest me advise.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Natty ... to%2011.04
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

veggen wrote:Wait, a sec. Isn't Mint 11 coming with Gnome 3 just without Gnome Shell, not Gnome 2?
See here: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_katya_whatsnew.php
Upstream components: Linux Mint 11 features the following upstream components: Ubuntu 11.04, Linux 2.6.38, Gnome 2.32, Xorg 7.6.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Please forget about Unity and about Gnome 3. They are both disasters. I have tried, on a live CD, Fedora 15 with Gnome 3 and it looks like a screen suitable for a 6 year old. Large icons of installed programs, no Preferences and Administration menus so set things the way you want it. It's way to simple. I absolutely hate it.
Please let Mint keep using their own interface like it is now. With now I mean Isadora 9.

Some time ago I tried the Debian variant and it crashed on me. No idea what happened. Since I use Isadora I am very happy, I can do what I want, it is rock stable, fast, looks good, what more do you want?

These new GUI's are not for me and I hope most of you will dislike them so people will change them again, this time into something good I hope, or return to the way it was, which was good. Why fix something if it ain't broken?
MarkX

Post by MarkX »

I switch from Ubuntu when Linux Mint 10 was released. I have to admit that I did load 11.04 and used it for about a week. I was very disappointed. I even tried Kubuntu and was still let down. Then I came to my senses and went back to Linux Mint and I am completely happy with this new release and I will not make the mistake of moving again. I am running on great hardware and have my system totally set with all my music, pics and docs now. Home Sweet Home.
proxmty

Post by proxmty »

I like linux mint - but as a newbie who obviously heavily relies on support and assitance the only thing that puts me off is the number of people using it. in ubuntuforums right now there are approx. 40-50k viewing. 500 of which registered members and 51 spiders! you get replies within literally minutes.

As I type this I believe it's me and about 3 others here. who are guests.

Sorry but I need convincing to stay with Mint for this reason. But once I'm all linuxed of course up I'll be back. see you in release 867....
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Ubuntu forums are bigger, so what?
proxmty

Post by proxmty »

Well I just explained what! I'm not experienced therefore I need more support.

more people = more support (not necessarily better I admit)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

It's easier to get answers on the mint forum then on ubuntu's forum and your post doesn't get "lost in the shuffle" as tons more new posts keep coming in over there...so the smaller community here works to your ADVANTAGE :wink:

Also there happens to be many people here with lots of technical knowledge...ubuntu forums doesn't offer any advantage in that department...
proxmty

Post by proxmty »

hmm. you may have a point! listen, I'm just specualting at the moment I've not yet given this forum a chance. so my machine is still running mint (for now!)
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

proxmty wrote:Sorry but I need convincing to stay with Mint for this reason. But once I'm all linuxed of course up I'll be back. see you in release 867....
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's not our job to convince you of anything. If you stay or switch, it's entirely up to you. The vast majority of the non-Unity specific Ubuntu guides, PPAs, debs etc all work the exact same for the Main Mint, so you're not limited to our forums when you need help. Even the Debian based Mint editions share guides, debs etc with other distros, so you can go beyond our forum for help.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”