LMDE Question

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
And7ate9

LMDE Question

Post by And7ate9 »

I understand that LMDE is a rolling release. But many of the programs still seem to be out of date. I was hoping to get a more up to date distro by using LDME. Is there a schedule of the rolling updates?

Also, if I just install a deb package what will happpen when the system updates?

Thanks all
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: LMDE Question

Post by JasonLG »

And7ate9 wrote:I understand that LMDE is a rolling release. But many of the programs still seem to be out of date. I was hoping to get a more up to date distro by using LDME. Is there a schedule of the rolling updates?

Also, if I just install a deb package what will happpen when the system updates?

Thanks all
Debian is very Conservative. If you want a more bleeding edge system change your sources from testing to unstable. Be warned that your system will be more prone to breakages. As far as installing a deb, it will stay at the version you installed until the version in the repos surpasses the versions you installed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

If you want something that updates to very new versions much quicker than Debian, perhaps PCLinuxOS, Sabayon or Arch would better suit your needs. They tend to pull in packages faster than Debian, although xorg in PCLinuxOS is very old but currently part of their updates taking place before they release their new iso's for 2011.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I agree with TBABill, because Debian sid is not enough I use Arch and find it very nice, Archbang and Chakra are easy ways to get Arch on your computer.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Another way to get newer software is to change the repositories to Unstable or Experimental.
And7ate9

Post by And7ate9 »

darn, I wanted to switch to Debian because of all the programs I could install.
Does arch have a large selection of programs?

I heard arch was more for expert linux users?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

And7ate9 wrote:Does arch have a large selection of programs?
It has: http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort=-last_update
Not as big as Debian but you can compile from source.
And7ate9 wrote:I heard arch was more for expert linux users?
It is but you can cheat a little by using a pre-made arch system like Archbang (Openbox) and Chakra Linux (KDE).

And they have a great forum.

However, Arch is not Mint, if you are spoiled by the Mint goodness you may not enjoy Arch. Give it a spin in a Virtualbox or live CD (ex: Archbang).
And7ate9

Post by And7ate9 »

yeah I was hoping not to have to do that. Mint spoiled me. Well I wanted to learn Linux so I guess this is best.
I don't like KDE so I guess open box here I come.
Hey how to doe register for the arch linux forums?
They got some kind of funky captcha going.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

And7ate9

Post by And7ate9 »

What is the output of "date -u +%W$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?

what do they mean?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You have to look at the individual commands and check man for information on the flags and options.
man date
man sha256sum
man sed

The pipe "I" is used to send the output of one command to the input of the next command.

On a VM with Fedora 15 it did nothing special...
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

JasonLG wrote:
And7ate9 wrote:I understand that LMDE is a rolling release. But many of the programs still seem to be out of date. I was hoping to get a more up to date distro by using LDME. Is there a schedule of the rolling updates?

Thanks all
Debian is very Conservative. If you want a more bleeding edge system change your sources from testing to unstable. Be warned that your system will be more prone to breakages. As far as installing a deb, it will stay at the version you installed until the version in the repos surpasses the versions you installed.
Well, yes and no. Stable is conservative (and frozen), but I don't find the packages in Debian testing to be all that out-of-date at all. Are there specific examples you've noticed of software that seems out-of-date to you?
And7ate9

Post by And7ate9 »

the opera was at 10.65 most current is 11.11 and the mozilla firefox is not 4.0
I can tolerate all the other apps being out of date but not the web browsers.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

And7ate9 wrote:What is the output of "date -u +%W$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?

what do they mean?

Wahaha,
this must be the way Arch forum was asking you to answer before registering as a member.

actually last time, I figure that out, like a brain teaser..

ok, here I just let you know how I did it last time, now I don't know if that still work, what I did was to copy the whole string of character, put into the the terminal, and get the answer in a long string of numbers, then copy that and put in as the answer and wahaha Arch forum allowed me to register.

here I copy from your string within the double quote and see what happen.
The highlighted in red is the answer.
good luck and have fun, the guy who thought of this had a great idea :lol:
he also was expecting you to run Linux OS with terminal as prerequisite of joining them :mrgreen:

wayne@wayne-Inspiron-580s:~$ date -u +%W$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'
67af6029429ba4cb7ba16fdd7fb07853992ef606173ca363ebef3821ace51013
wayne@wayne-Inspiron-580s:~$
And7ate9

Post by And7ate9 »

I tried putting that in to the terminal it didn't work.
sigh, I guess I just dont got it.
wangsuda

Post by wangsuda »

And7ate9 wrote:I tried putting that in to the terminal it didn't work.
sigh, I guess I just dont got it.
Sure you do! Put this into your terminal:

Code: Select all

date -u +%W$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'
You should get an answer!
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

michaelzap wrote:
JasonLG wrote:

Thanks all
Well, yes and no. Stable is conservative (and frozen), but I don't find the packages in Debian testing to be all that out-of-date at all. Are there specific examples you've noticed of software that seems out-of-date to you?
Debian is very conservative compared to other distros. I don't know anyone that would argue that. :roll: Debian sid (unstable) is about as stable as most other distro's stable releases. In fact afaik Ubuntu stable releases (and in turn Mint main version) are largely based on Debian sid.

I also never said that Debian testing is out of date, the original poster did. But in general at any given time it's not uncommon for packages to be a version behind depending on how long ago said package was released upstream. What I simply said was that unstable is more bleeding edge then testing, which is a fact.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

You can run Debian Testing, and add the latest browser versions. Iceweasel 4.0 (Debian Firefox) is in the Experimental repository, or you can add the Mozilla repository and get it.

Code: Select all

deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental iceweasel-4.0
I don't like Opera, so I don't have a repository handy, but a quick Google search for "Opera repository Linux" should get something for you. You don't have to completely change your distro to get newer software, it's almost always possible with whatever distro you're running, with a little effort.
And7ate9

Post by And7ate9 »

OK this is what I going to do. Since, debian is basically one of base distro for all other distros, I think it best to stick with that as my base. Then, I will dual boot with either arch linux or ubuntu Short term release as my every day distro.
I have been thinking about fedora too hmm. To many choices.

By the way how is archbang "cheating?" Because it uses openbox?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Because it comes already made. In Arch you install your system package by package: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

Return to “Non-technical Questions”