Separate Linux Mint blog interest

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edtheuniquegeek

Separate Linux Mint blog interest

Post by edtheuniquegeek »

I was curious to know if there would be an interest, and possibly assistance, from the Linux Mint community for a blog dedicated specifically to Linux Mint. I know there is already a blog here but it seems to be more specific information related to releases, monthly stats and such. I was looking for a blog that does something similar to Web Upd8 (http://www.webupd8.org/) that focuses more on Linux Mint tips and tricks where Web Upd8 seems to focus more on Ubuntu.
Thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: Separate Linux Mint blog interest

Post by ThistleWeb »

I can't quite see a point, Ubuntu (non-Unity) tips and guides apply equally to Mint. If people want to do it, that's the beauty of FOSS; go for it.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

edtheuniquegeek wrote:I was curious to know if there would be an interest, and possibly assistance, from the Linux Mint community for a blog dedicated specifically to Linux Mint. I know there is already a blog here but it seems to be more specific information related to releases, monthly stats and such. I was looking for a blog that does something similar to Web Upd8 (http://www.webupd8.org/) that focuses more on Linux Mint tips and tricks where Web Upd8 seems to focus more on Ubuntu.
Thoughts?
No need,as noted by ThistleWeb Most of the Stuff also work on Mint, The reason that i listed webupd8 as a favorite Linux site in that thread.
edtheuniquegeek

Post by edtheuniquegeek »

I see you gentlemen's point.
However, I would think it would be more of a need to show support for the Mint distribution. I look around the web and find tons of blogs dedicated to Ubuntu and none for Mint. It's all well and good since it is also a blog focused on Linux but I've become such a hardcore disciple (fan) of Linux Mint that I want to spread the gospel. I want people to know that Mint is a better distribution than Ubuntu, as I hope most of us would agree. I want more people to know about Linux Mint. I would think a blog dedicated to Mint would help with both, informing people of Mint and letting them know it's a better choice over Ubuntu.
Don't get me wrong, though. I love what they do over at Web Upd8 and have expressed my gratitude to Andrew and the team there. I've gotten some really good tips from that site it's just that it seems that most of the tips are geared more toward Unity. Also, I used to be a really big fan of Ubuntu (maybe the reason why I like Mint so much) but found the more I used it some of the features I was not too fond of, especially Unity.
Am I such a Linux newbie that I am asking for too much? Is it stupid to want to support Mint more and be a Mint zealot? Are we not supposed to pick sides in a distribution of Linux and just support Linux as a whole?
Seriously, I would like to know the answers to those questions as I do consider myself a newcomer to Linux and want to know the general consensus from the Linux veterans.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

To nail your colours to the mast of any one distro or project is one thing to help promote it etc I don't think it's such a good idea to go too close to the fanboi line personally, as it inadvertently taints your impressions of other projects for no good reason. I am comfortable with the Debian line, Ubuntu, Mint and Crunchbang, but taking a larger view of being part of just one branch of the overall FOSS family means I am open to what Arch, Frugalware, Fedora etc are all doing. We all play our parts in the overall Linux experience, we should be encouraging each other to embrace other projects, as well as fans of those projects. We should be encouraging each other to learn generic Linux skills, which can be applied across different distros, bases, packaging formats, environments etc.

Many of the Ubuntu centric sites and podcasts are good, informative and valuable to the overall FOSS cause, as they give extra help where it's needed to encourage new users to learn to tweak and play with Linux, rather than settle for what came out of the box. Microsoft have taught users to fear their computer, when something crashes, the user is always blamed.

I guess it comes down to your approach. The Mintcast podcast is done by Mint community members, but they're open in doing a show for all Linux users, while the Ubuntu UK podcast often seem like they're auditioning to become Canonical employees in how sycophantic they appear at times, as well as dismissing anything non-Ubuntu.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”