Mint in the Future

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Mint in the Future

Postby nesha87 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:26 pm

So, it seems that me (as a newbie) reading forums and linux-related sites, i can see that mint's popularity is growing very very rapidly. So my question is this:
How can Mint compete with multi-million dollar companies like Ubuntu and co. How can they keep up? Will mint be purchased/sponsored by a large company also? I really like the system, hope you keep up the great work!
nesha87
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint in the Future

Postby tdockery97 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:57 pm

Now this is just my opinion, and I could be completely wrong, but I don't think we users are in danger of Mint being bought by one of the big companies. After using Mint and being involved in the community for 1-1/2 years, my impression of Clem is that he enjoys the freedom of being an independent developer who does not have to answer to a large corporation. I believe he is satisfied to make a small living at what he does, which allows him to do what he loves most without having to answer to anyone but his community.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Mint in the Future

Postby smiley_lauf on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:47 am

Also making a small donation would not hurt either--in this way, Clem could get a good vacation and come back all refreshed to do more good work. :wink:
Ubuntu User #21505; Linux User #408849
smiley_lauf
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions