Registration suggestion and feedback

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Registration suggestion and feedback

Postby geneven on Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:14 pm

I was surprised to find when I registered that when I had to type in the random letters at the end they had to be all caps as in the sample. Couldn't you make that case-insensitive?

Thanks for this easy distro! I usually use SUSE, but this functions even better for me at the moment. (In SUSE, I have sound working perfectly for encrypted dvds, but not for running Supertux :) )

If you really want to be super user-friendly (which I appreciate), I have a suggestion.

I already managed to mess up my Linux Mint (I like the name just fine) setup! Somehow I zapped the permissions, so I was pushed right out of Linux Mint right after getting in. (Note -- Linux Mint worked perfectly at first, so I knew it was me who messed it up!)

Of course I fixed it, but I had to refresh my memory about how to fix the permissions from the console (at one time I had the owner of my home directory as user 644, when I had actually meant to use my name and set the permissions at 644!) (or was it 744 -- you get the idea)

I think this happens fairly often. It would be nice to have a "permission fixer" option somewhere, like as an option when logging in. Maybe this is going a bit far, but I think it would save some people. (permission fixer would automatically set the permissions appropriately for the user's home directory).

I get really tired of installing a new distro and searching for messages that explain how to get encrypted movies to run, and discover that the (undated) message I am trying to follow is obsolete, and searching for another message, etc. Thanks for saving me from that!

By the way, I seem to be one of the few Windowmaker users out there. I think it is such a good and easy (and very fast) Window Manager. I wish it was the default rather than the boring GNOME or KDE, but I guess I'm dreaming...
geneven
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:44 pm

Hi,

did you try chown -R yourself:yourself /home/yourself
and chmod -R u+rw /home/yourself

using the recursive -R option will save you a lot of time. Also, instead of using octal numbers you should use r, w and x.. this way, instead of refinining permissions, you simply modify them.

Read this if in doubt:
http://www.linuxforums.org/security/fil ... sions.html
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby geneven on Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:05 pm

No, I didn't. Of course, someone new to Linux wouldn't know that, or think of that.

But next time I do this, I'll use your suggestion, thanks!
geneven
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions