Love this distro...

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Love this distro...

Postby wendyalison on Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:12 pm

Just want to say that I absolutely love what you/you guys are doing. I wouldn't use Kubuntu if I didn't prefer it's blue desktop. I know i can tweak GNOME to change the way it looks but the orange Ubuntu logo at the left hand corner doesn't seem like it wants to go away nor does the chocolate-orange start screen, but you guys have done it for me! Great stuff!

I also like that I do not have to go install easyubuntu or automatix right off the bat after a fresh Ubuntu install. But I still dislike or don't understand why they won't add WPA wireless access functionality from the start. My office uses WPA and it's stupid thinking users can sudo apt-get this and download the wpa supplicant if there's no other way I can go online? I hope that you guys could add that, I think a lot of wireless network users have been calling for it and I'm sure Linux Mint will be a great success if this is incorporated into the distro out-of-the-box
wendyalison
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:31 am

Hi Wendy,

Can you describe in detail the steps you would go through to install the WPA yourself on an Ubuntu box ?
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby random guy on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:26 am

does linux mint include all the hardware detection already in ubuntu? in that case most cards will work even mine which only works with 3 distros the two other ones being live cd's.

here is a trick that is sometimes needed in ubuntu: unplug the device and plug it back in. sometimes that is needed when switching between windows and linux. you may have to leave it unplugged for like 10 sec.

i know how you feel about not being able to get teh drivers to go online without being online. my wireless card is evil by nature but recently i have been able to live with it somewhat peacefully for a while...
random guy
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions