Choose between Mint Menu and Gnome Menu.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Telecaster72
Level 1
Level 1

Choose between Mint Menu and Gnome Menu.

Post by Telecaster72 »

I am not particularly fond of the Mint Menu and prefer the less cluttered standard Gnome menu, wouldnt it be good to add a choice while installing wich menu to use?
Mint is a great distro, may it be a little RAM hungry and bloated (note this is coming from someone who also use Zenwalk, apples and oranges, i know) but keeping it low on resources cant be a bad thing, but it has lot´s of those little extra useful things that is missing in Ubuntu for example.
I have to have Mint update removed from autostart though because after a while it hogs way too much RAM for my taste.

But all in all i am happy with it and use it as my main os for now since it is nice that it "just works", and Zenwalk on another drive for speed and learning Linux...

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Choose between Mint Menu and Gnome Menu.

Post by Husse »

Now I'm lost :)
Less cluttered standard gnome?
I think it's more cluttered, but you are of course entitled to your opinion
And the wonderful little search field that lets you find your program real fast in mintMenu...
The downside of mintMenu is a memory leak which will be fixed with the next release
It's one of the nice Mint apps. Anyone could remove it and use standard gnome menu instead but I don't see the point
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The Mint menu was the first thing that attracted me to LinuxMint!
molom

Post by molom »

I think the mintmenu is 25% of Mints wonderful experience! :D
Telecaster72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Telecaster72 »

Ooops :wink:

This was not supposed to be a discussion of the greatness or not so greatness of the Mint menu, just the ability to choose when installing, or why not have it as a choice in the MintDesktop utility?

I think the Mint menu is a good menu and it gives Mint more of it's own character and is one of the things that separates Mint from big brother Ubuntu, so i dont want it removed or anything, just add some configurability.

I hope you get my point of view!

peace

P.S. Husse, i am glad to hear the memoryleak is fixed, good job! I might give the menu a new chance in the next release then ;-)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well I'm not the one responsible, but a german guy called Lars. The team is testing a beta of a new version that hopefully is not leaky
And the leaks also only appeared when the menu changed
I reacted because I think the standard Gnome menu is far more cluttered..... :lol:
Telecaster72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Telecaster72 »

Husse, I did not mean the "default menu and application browser" under "add to panel", if that is the one you are thinking about, that thing is awful, i meant the same as in Ubuntu, which is in its own way is cluttered too i guess, and it takes up too much space on the panel too... (never satisfied am I ;-)

If you could make Mint Menu scroll long lists such as the preferences or administration tab by mouse over instead of the wheel or pressing the up and down arrows, it would be smoother i think.

But with no excessive RAM usage, the Mint Menu would be great as the only default menu since you would not be "forced" to use a memoryeating app, and then this suggestion of mine to choose at install is pointless ;-))

Do you know if anyone is working on the Mint Update memory usage aswell? If i knew anything about programming i would sure try to help. Maybe there should be a choice for that instead of the menu until it is fixed.

I think it might be a kind of a turnoff for people to try out Mint, run htop or the system monitor and go: confused??? and then go back to Ubuntu, Windows or wherever they came from...
Both the menu and the update have really nice features and it's to bad they are so heavy on the system for being things that should just be running quietly in the background and especially being two of the things giving Mint it's own flavor.

So i really appreciate that Lars is fixing the menu! Danke schön!

Return to “Non-technical Questions”