Rename MGSE to GGMM

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Rename MGSE to GGMM

Postby Eucalyptus on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:09 am

Hi,

There are a bunch of acronymes ending by E (LXDE, LMDE) the last one MGSE added to the list and somehow for me it is not very evocative. And somehow I have difficulty to remember it.

May be it's crazy but here is a name I propose to replace MGSE: Gnome Genetically Modified by Mint, this makes GGMM. Bogus may be but definitely more original and especially easier to remember.
Eucalyptus
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Rename MGSE to GGMM

Postby paulo.delavega on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:20 am

MGSE reminds me of Metal Gear Solid something... :mrgreen:

But I think it's a good name.
paulo.delavega
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Rename MGSE to GGMM

Postby eric k on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:33 am

The term "Gnome Shell Extension(s)" is already in common use, so it makes sense to stick "Mint" in front of it.

Soon you will be able to download and install extensions directly from Gnome's website; once this occurs extensions will be just as much a part of the average Gnome desktop experience as extensions hosted at Mozilla.com are for Firefox and Thunderbird, and introducing a Mint-specific term will only be a confusing deviation from the norm.

IMO.
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775, Xeon 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2-800, EVGA 8800GT, WD Caviar 250 GB SATA-2

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Crunchbang Waldorf, Mint 13 w/Cinnamon, Elementary Luna Beta, Puppy
eric k
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Non-technical Questions