Release Question

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rfrayer

Release Question

Post by rfrayer »

I was wondering now that Ubuntu has went in the gnome3 direction is Linux mint going to fallow? I did notice there is a Debian version of Mint and was just curiouse if future releases would likely be Debian based rather than gnome3/ubuntu based being that it would be difficult to toss Slab on Gnome3? If well be keeping gnome 2 without unity I wanna be the first to give a big huge high 5
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: Release Question

Post by cwwgateway »

Linux Mint 12 Lisa and onward (presumably) will use a combination of gnome 3 (or possibly a gnome 3 fork called cinnamon - more on that in a sec) and MATE (a gnome 2 fork). Mint has add MGSE (Mint Gnome Shell Extensions) to gnome 3 to make it look and act more like gnome 2 (it has a taskbar, a menu which is fairly similar to the mint menu, etc). MATE looks and acts just like gnome 2 (all of the "add to panel" things and themes work), but it is new and slightly unstable. Finally, Cinnamon, which is a fork of gnome 3 with the MGSE incorporated, might replace MGSE in the next release (13). It has one panel instead of two, and the menu is even more similar to the gnome 2 one. But it is still ALPHA software, so who knows where it will go.
rfrayer

Post by rfrayer »

Yeah I just install Mint 12.

When Ubuntu released 11.10 to msay it was buggy would be an understatement.

now with that said Mint 12 uses gnome 3 and i was pleasantly surprised to see that its actually fully functional and working the way it should.. I find it slightly odd that Mints gnome 3 works yet ubuntus does not ... oh well not gonna dwell on it Linux Mints team has allways seemed to stay on top of things like fixing bugs etc thats why i use mint lol.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

And to answer the question about debian or ubuntu....LMDE is the debian testing rolling release version of mint...and the main edition (ex: Mint 12) is ubuntu based and based on various comments by Clem will remain ubuntu based but with the usual mint refinements of course :wink:

For best reliability and stability, if i were you i would stick with the main edition (ubuntu based) mints (mint 12, 13 when it comes out, etc)...LMDE is for the more adventurous and those who don't mind tinkering and fixing when things occasionally go wrong on it... :lol:

Return to “Non-technical Questions”