Seach Engine $$$ Support Integration Status

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nagalman

Seach Engine $$$ Support Integration Status

Post by nagalman »

What is the status of enrolling more search engines to support Linux Mint through sharing of search revenue? Which search providers are currently paying Lunux Mint for searches? I am asking so I can use those search providers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Seach Engine $$$ Support Integration Status

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Google is for sure. Mint uses Google Custom Search. Search for something in your browser address bar and hit enter. See??
conslie

Post by conslie »

The pay model in LM 12 is explained at http://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php.

Google does not pay. If you are using LM12 you can use the drop-down menu in the search box to manage your search engines.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Oh...if Google doesn't pay, whats the point of the custom search? :shock:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:Oh...if Google doesn't pay, whats the point of the custom search? :shock:
That was only for Linux Mint 11, and only if you used the custom search. There is no agreement with Google to share revenue with Linux Mint for searches done outside that custom search engine.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

It's also in Mint 9...and it's damm annoying, no offence clem, but whenever I search in the address bar it goes to Google Custom search :evil: :evil:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

@ sagirfahmid3, the Google CSE was not included on Linux Mint 12 after feedback from the community on this. So, from Linux Mint 12 forward this issue is not there anymore.

For those that prefer the LTS release; the next one is almost here :wink:

Replacing the Google CSE with normal Google, detailed here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p468916 Following that preserves the suggestions in the searchbox working, and also replaces the search engine for the awesome bar. I tested it with Linux Mint 11, but assume it will work with 9 as well.
wiugrad2010

Post by wiugrad2010 »

Now that LM has signed an agreement with DuckDuckGo, is there going to be a custom search enhancer geared toward DuckDuckGo? Some of us are unable to donate and use the enhanced search to do what we can to help out LM. Also, I have other OSs on my computer and was wondering if there is a way to get the search enhancer for MACOSX and Win7?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

wiugrad2010 wrote:Now that LM has signed an agreement with DuckDuckGo, is there going to be a custom search enhancer geared toward DuckDuckGo? Some of us are unable to donate and use the enhanced search to do what we can to help out LM. Also, I have other OSs on my computer and was wondering if there is a way to get the search enhancer for MACOSX and Win7?
I'm not sure this is the whole story, but here goes. The search plugins for DuckDuckGo are stored on your system in various locations. This is just an xml file for your language, and you can copy it to another system running Firefox and use it there. The files you can find with:

Code: Select all

locate duckduckgo.xml
On another Linux, copy the file to:

~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/searchplugins
Be sure to first remove any existing DuckDuckGo search engine from Firefox! (Click the down arrow icon in the search bar, go to Manage Search Engines.) On other systems find where your Firefox profile is stored and copy the file to the searchplugins folder there. After restarting Firefox, your search engine should have been added. After doing this, you still need to change the default search engine used in the awesomebar. Enter the address: about:config and hit enter, accept the warning, then enter the filter: browser.search.defaultenginename. Change the value to: DuckDuckGo
wiugrad2010

Post by wiugrad2010 »

xenopeek wrote:
wiugrad2010 wrote:Now that LM has signed an agreement with DuckDuckGo, is there going to be a custom search enhancer geared toward DuckDuckGo? Some of us are unable to donate and use the enhanced search to do what we can to help out LM. Also, I have other OSs on my computer and was wondering if there is a way to get the search enhancer for MACOSX and Win7?
I'm not sure this is the whole story, but here goes. The search plugins for DuckDuckGo are stored on your system in various locations. This is just an xml file for your language, and you can copy it to another system running Firefox and use it there. The files you can find with:

locate duckduckgo.xml
Thanks Vince. How about if I use Chromium and Chrome?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

wiugrad2010 wrote:How about if I use Chromium and Chrome?
The xml files for the DuckDuckGo search engine are in OpenSearch 1.1 format. Probably Chrome can handle the OpenSearch standard for search plugins as well? You'll have to Google that a bit, I suggest, to find where the file should be put.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”