Request: b43 firmware

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
masternetra
Level 1
Level 1

Request: b43 firmware

Post by masternetra »

I would like to request that the b43 firmware be included by default. For installs of Ubuntu/Mint as it stands I have to use my Wireless USB Adapter in order to grab the firmware. Would be nice if the firmware was installed by default. I know Tresquel started doing this (I did email them the request back when they didn't).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Request: b43 firmware

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The so-called free or open firmware, a replacement firmware made outside Broadcom, is indeed preinstalled in some distros. It still lacks a lot of features and is somehow experimental. But indeed it would be a good idea to include it. With Trisquel being more or less Ubuntu compatible it wouldn't be too hard to get it working on Mint as well.

The B43 firmware you get from the repository as b43-fwcutter or firmware-b43-installer is Broadcom's own firmware. It works often better, or with more features, than the open firmware but Broadcom does not allow redistributing it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
masternetra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by masternetra »

AlbertP wrote:The so-called free or open firmware, a replacement firmware made outside Broadcom, is indeed preinstalled in some distros. It still lacks a lot of features and is somehow experimental. But indeed it would be a good idea to include it. With Trisquel being more or less Ubuntu compatible it wouldn't be too hard to get it working on Mint as well.

The B43 firmware you get from the repository as b43-fwcutter or firmware-b43-installer is Broadcom's own firmware. It works often better, or with more features, than the open firmware but Broadcom does not allow redistributing it.
I usually just check the firmware-b43-installer when getting the firmware. So that is what I am referring too, dunno if Tresquel is using that or the b43 package, but meh.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”