Future Desktops of LinuxMint

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Future Desktops of LinuxMint

Postby monery on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:09 pm

I have been a fan of Gnome since I started using it back a few years ago with Ubuntu. I gave it my best when they moved to Unity, but just couldn't get used to it and left for Linux Mint.

Having played with all the versions that LM offers I decided to stick with standard release...
I may not speak for everyone, but I do feel like LM is the best Linux out there atm. I love the fact that it has this feel like Windows with a menu button on the bottom left of the screen, the 3 buttons to control windows in the top right, and finally.... each program exists in its own window and has the controls for that program in the top of the screen. I avoid saying that LM is like Windows... I instead say that my muscle memory* works between the two systems which for me is a huge deal...

After all the rambling I just did I am curious what decisions if any have been made for the future Desktop Environment of LM12 and LM13

I have been a fan of Gnome since I started using it back a few years ago with Ubuntu. I gave it my best when they moved to Unity, but just couldn't get used to it and left for Linux Mint.

Having played with all the versions that LM offers I decided to stick with standard release...
I may not speak for everyone, but I do feel like LM is the best Linux out there atm. I love the fact that it has this feel like Windows with a menu button on the bottom left of the screen, the 3 buttons to control windows in the top right, and finally.... each program exists in its own window and has the controls for that program in the top of the screen. I avoid saying that LM is like Windows... I instead say that my muscle memory works between the two systems which for me is a huge deal...

After all the rambling my main question comes down to is what will will be the future of LM.... are the developers going with MATE, Gnome3, or Cinnimon
monery
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Future Desktops of LinuxMint

Postby craig10x on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Based on various comments i read from Clem i believe it will be like this (for Mint 13 and going forward):
Cinnamon (the default desktop session) :)
Mate (the optional desktop session for as long as it survives...lol)

MGSE (gone...no further need with the fantastic development and positive acceptance of Cinnamon)
Gnome 3 Shell (also gone... no need as most Mint main edition users want Cinnamon and some prefer MATE)
However, if one loves Mint and wants to do the Gnome 3 Shell desktop, that can always easily be added on by installing via Package Manager :wink:
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Non-technical Questions