virtual-box

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smart

virtual-box

Post by smart »

i boot the iso image via a virtual box and install the two packges drbd and heartbeat in virtual box after i shutdown the machine when i again start the work i lost all my work please give me any suggestion about that ?
thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: virtual-box

Post by viking777 »

it might be due to the way you shut it down.

If you choose "Send the shutdown signal" it will save the programs you have added.

If you choose "Power off the machine" it may not.

"Power off the machine" is the equivalent of holding down the power button on your computer only suitable if the machine has frozen and you can't stop it any other way, this may lead to data loss.
smart

Post by smart »

thanks for your answer sir but when i choose the shut down signal it become in running state but i want to quit the mchine after done my work how sir ?
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

It sounds to me as if VirtualBox is booting into the live desktop from the ISO file every time you start. Either you never installed the OS to the virtual machine, or there is an error in the boot order setting.

To check the boot order, start VirtualBox and, before starting the system you are trying to use, click the "Settings" button ( it looks like a yellow gear wheel). In Settings, open "System" and check the boot order. If the CD/DVD-ROM entry ids above the HARD DISK entry, the virtual machine will always boot from the ISO file and not from the OS installed on the virtual hard disk. If this is happening, every time you power down the virtual machine by any method, you will lose all installed apps and all work mot saved to an external drive.

The solution is quite simple. If you have not installed the OS to the VirtualBox virtual drive, run the installer and install the OS, making sure that after the installation is complete, the virtual machine is set to boot from the HARD DISK first (HARD DISK is above CD/DVD-ROM in the boot order diagram).

If the OS is installed, just correct the boot order.

If this is not a solution, post back here and we will try plan B.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”