Open Source Ecosystem for Consumer

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Open Source Ecosystem for Consumer

Postby kitsane on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Hello everyone

It's my first post here so. I want to say sorry if my english isn't really understandable. I'm from switzerland and my native language is swiss german but also have some problems with normal german :) .
I want to thank the Linux Mint developers for Mint, because i think it's awesome.

Now for the topic.

My question is, is there any open source alternate to a ecosystem like Apple and Facbook have and Amazon, Google and Microsoft try to build? I have looked a little bit around, well not very much, i just used Google for a little research and i only found open source and ecosystem mostly for business applications. So again are there any projects which try to make an ecosystem in an open source way?
kitsane
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Open Source Ecosystem for Consumer

Postby DrHu on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:06 pm

kitsane wrote:My question is, is there any open source alternate to a ecosystem like Apple and Facbook have and Amazon, Google and Microsoft try to build?

Basically that is a marketing term (and a marketing plan) that commercial vendors use to try and convince a consumer that they have all the answers available in one place: in reality, they don't.
http://sites.google.com/site/chromeosecosystem/

Now about Linux
--the short is answer is NO, not in the same way as a commercial operation, but you might consider..
  • Forums
  • Tutorials, guides, help for commands or GUI desktop selections
    --as equivalencies to a commercial ecosystem: I know I do

It is more organic than commercial entities and so is less focused on groups or group dynamics, apart from a trend some Linux distributors mention of listening to their audience/demographic, although their choices often enough annoy quite a few people
  • Gnome3/Unitity from Ubuntu comes to mind
  • Kde 4x when it first appeared..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Ikem on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:03 pm

An alternative to Facebook is Diaspora and Friendica.
Ikem
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kitsane on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:49 am

DrHu wrote:Now about Linux
--the short is answer is NO, not in the same way as a commercial operation, but you might consider..

Forums
Tutorials, guides, help for commands or GUI desktop selections
--as equivalencies to a commercial ecosystem: I know I do

Well that's a good point to look at. But i meant in the commercial way, and in this it's sad to hear. But i also see the problems of building something like a commercial ecosystem. I just thouhgt about it that it whould be nice to have an alternate.
I see it from the point, that i want something thats as userfrinedly as possible to install, use and manage. Honestly if wouldn't be interested in the hole technical stuff i even won't heard about it. I mean i can handle it to install and run Linux on my system, but if something brakes i get in trouble to fix that.
Just for information i'm half apple user and there it works. I know Linux is designed to run many different hardware, but if you come from there it's different. Call it lazyness or just want have it the easy way. But it's nice when you can have it the easy way.
Don't get me wrong. I just started with Linux and after a while i will come to the same point that i think it's easy.

Thanks for the link it was interesting to read and sounds like posibility to google and the developers. I also red about the NetBrix stuff and i found it even more interestening to know about that.
kitsane
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Non-technical Questions