Mint 17.1 RC Major Bug!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NeoGeo64

Mint 17.1 RC Major Bug!!

Post by NeoGeo64 »

There is a major bug in the RC of 17.1. When installing from USB an error pops up saying that squashfs cannot be read. I have tried redownloading the ISO several times and have used different USB drives. I have used the USB Image Writer in Mint and the Pendrive Linux program in WIndows. I am unable to insall Mint 17.1 RC from a USB drive. I am currently running 17.1, which is a nice update to 17.0, but I had to install it from a DVD which worked flawlessly.

So, I am wondering, has anyone else encountered this issue as far as being unable to install Mint 17.1 from USB? I did not have any issues installing 17.0 from USB. The error, as said before, happens when it begins to load and it says it cannot find or mount squashfs. I am unable to do anything at that point except hold down the power button on my PC.

Thanks all for reading and I hope you can help with this issue. Mint 17.1 is beautiful and I'm sure this bug will be worked out for the final release. Thats why this is a "Release Canidate".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint 17.1 RC Major Bug!!

Post by karlchen »

Hello, NeoGeo64.

If you want to make sure the Mint makers read your report, you should consider adding it as a comment to the blog thread where Mint 17.1 Mate RC or Mint 17.1 Cinnamon RC has been anncounced:
Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” MATE RC released! or Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Cinnamon RC released!
Reason:
The developers need your feedback there. They will read the blog comments. They may not scan the forum for feedback on the Mint 17.1 RC release, however.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
NeoGeo64

Post by NeoGeo64 »

OKay, I will post it there, thanks. I found a few more bugs, also.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I installed on 2 pcs from a USB stick and unetbootin.
-Hinto
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Both Rebecca Cinnamon and Mate RCs have been installed from usb stick here-- with no issues as well.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
NeoGeo64

Post by NeoGeo64 »

Well, I am not sure then. I have used two different USB writing utilities and two different USB sticks. When I boot into the USB stick I get an error saying squasfs cannot be mounted. What would be causing this? I have done a sumcheck on my ISOs and have downloaded them several times. I did get it installed via DVD but I am just wondering.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Why are you installing 17.1RC over 17.0? I thought 17.1 would be pulled down as part of the normal updates?
NeoGeo64

Post by NeoGeo64 »

Just to check it out. I plan to do a format and install 17.1 final when it's released.
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

If it isn't help or assistance, I'm pretty sure that you need to contact the devs at: root@linuxmint.com :)
NeoGeo64

Post by NeoGeo64 »

I've taken my issues over to GitHub and I'm awaiting a reply. I guess the devs don't browse the forums?
deleted

Post by deleted »

I think if it was a major bug, then there would be no installations of 17.1 RC.
This is clearly not the case. I have 2 Cinnamon installs from a USB stick.
-Hinto
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I use unetbootin here and had no problem creating a bootable and installable stick.
so I think he was doing something wrong. don't believe it's a bug.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
rbmorse

Post by rbmorse »

Are your USB devices by any chance Sandisk Cruizers? I've had all kinds of problems with them under both Windows and Linux. Other brands work trouble-free on the same host machine/OS combinations.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Mine is Lexar, tho I don't think it will much matter. There would be tons of reports (and tons of workarounds) if it was a major bug.
-Hinto
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

NeoGeo64 wrote:I've taken my issues over to GitHub and I'm awaiting a reply. I guess the devs don't browse the forums?
Why would devs browse the forums? Devs hang out on IRC, Mailing Lists etc. They have no time for forums!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

There would be tons of reports (and tons of workarounds) if it was a major bug.
Exactly--almost 500 reads and no one else is reporting such a problem.

Couldn't be the download--couldn't be the procedure--couldn't be a hardware problem--couldn't possibly be an error--and
even though others are not having this problem--it still "must be a BUG"
I don't get it.
Are your USB devices by any chance Sandisk Cruizers?
Some of mine are, some many years--and have had absolutely no problem with Sandisk Cruzers.
Even have 5 versions of Qiana and Rebecca on a single Sandisk stick using MultiSession
NeoGeo64

Post by NeoGeo64 »

Hello all. There have been no replies over at GitHub so... maybe there is just something wrong with both my USB drives? How can I check the intergity of them and probe for possible reasons this "cannot mount squashfs" error is happening? I haven't tried to do a 17.1 RC install off USB since I got the errors. I just burned the ISO to a DVD and kept it moving... mainly because I have no idea what was causing this and the fact that *EVERYBODY* else isn't experiencing this issue. I will try to do a USB install of 17.1 Final and if I still get the same error, I'll go buy another 8GB stick and try that. I really have no idea how I could have possibly hosed my two USB sticks.

And if ALL fails, I'll continue to enjoy Mint and just use optical media (DVD) to install. *shrug*

I sure would like to know what happened though, lol
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

NeoGeo64--i
II would like to know more about your difficulties--just because I have not experienced the same symptoms that you are reporting.
Please say more about your install problems and the hardware involved--is it a UEFI problem?
I will try to duplicate every step that you have taken.
NeoGeo64

Post by NeoGeo64 »

I am actually using a legacy boot. My system does have UEFI but I am not using it to boot. I also have it disabled in the BIOS.
andizee

Post by andizee »

Hi. For what it's worth I am also having the same problem. I downloaded the 17.1 cinnamon iso (md5 checked out) and then used universal usb installer to create a bootable usb stick with the iso on it and added a persistent file. On trying to boot up on my Acer netbook it gets to a point where it says that it fails to mount filesystem.squashfs. Anyhow. Will try and do the DVD install thing - just more painful with the netbook. Cheers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”