Does Mint needs a Netbook edition? Or is Ubuntu that already

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Does Mint needs a Netbook edition? Or is Ubuntu that alr

Post by gosa »

Nikolai_D wrote:Im downloading LMDE Xfce. And ill see how it works out. Will post back when i play with it. I wonder now if the LMDE Xfce has Unity in the repos. Just to try it out.
Nikolai,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1000H also has the SHE (Super Hybrid Engine), right?

I'm asking, because I've been tinkering with LMDE XFCE on my 1000HE for a couple of days now, and one thing - that is quite essential at least for me - is that there doesn't seem to be a good and easy way of managing the different SHE running LMDE (not anymore anyway).

I used to run Jupiter Applet on my netbook, both in an earlier install of LMDE and also in LM12 lxde and that one takes care of the wifi on/off, blutooth on/off, screen orientation/selection/resolution and the different processor modes. For some reason I can't get Jupiter to work on LMDE XFCE, and it actually seems like the developer left Debian behind quite some time ago. (There's still support for Ubuntu)

I don't know how important these functions are for you, but I'm thinking about going back to LM12 lxde for that reason only. (I can always add XFCE on top of that install if I want).

Anyway - just thought you should know, and if you do find a way to control the different governors/SHE please fill me in will you?

/gosa
greenpen

Post by greenpen »

I've been using mint on several net books over the past couple of years. I've just come unstuck with trying to upgrade from mint 10 to 12 on my dell mini 1018. I cant get past the bloody screen where it says to use a picture or take a snapshot as the window is too big to scroll down and click on what I presume to be the OK button. I've tried all sorts of tricks. Even my 19 inch monitor won't show the darned thing. I've changed the resolution, split the screen and just about everything I can think of but that blasted window has me beat every time. Anyone know how to get round it? :oops:
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

greenpen wrote:I've been using mint on several net books over the past couple of years. I've just come unstuck with trying to upgrade from mint 10 to 12 on my dell mini 1018. I cant get past the bloody screen where it says to use a picture or take a snapshot as the window is too big to scroll down and click on what I presume to be the OK button. I've tried all sorts of tricks. Even my 19 inch monitor won't show the darned thing. I've changed the resolution, split the screen and just about everything I can think of but that blasted window has me beat every time. Anyone know how to get round it? :oops:
Hold down alt-key on your keyboard while you click (just about anywhere in the window) and drag the window.
(think it need to be the left alt-key)
greenpen

Post by greenpen »

Thanks for that. I got so fed up with it I installed Mintdeb instead. :evil: I'll make a note of that for the next time
Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 »

Installed Mint 13 XFCE on my old Eee 701 today. It is great so far and with some help from BleachBit leaves me with nearly a GB of free space.
Nikolai_D

Post by Nikolai_D »

Hah, just saw that there was actually still even a post in this thread that i havent even read.
And since someone here asked to post an update info on how it went with my netbook installation/tuning here is a recent experience i have had:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=174926
It comes basically down to this:
I decided that no matter that its outdated i find the best distro for a netbook is Elive 2.0 stable Topaz. I dont care i had to pay for it. Its less then a pizza so why care. But its so gorgeous. Its pure joy. ;D
(I liked MeeGo to, but dint liked it wasnt MultiUser).
But since Elives interface is somewhat how would i call it. Small ish. Which is perfect for me. But could be less perfect for someone of my parents for example with a bit less good sight then mine. This is why i added OpenSuse to it. Also readily localized in Russian.
Becuse i passed this netbook to my mother atm. And am using 1225b.
Thats about it.
Have fun :)
scryan

Post by scryan »

Someone asked about this before and I asked "What exactly IS a netbook edition"?

I mean, I get what they are supposed to be... Use KDE and set any spacing, icon, font sizes styles or color you want. I am not sure what a Netbook edition gives, because most of that stuff can be customized already...Its not like windows where a netbook edition requires significant modification of closed source code...

But beyond that... Lets not loose sight of what is largely the basis of unix... Do one thing and do it well.
There are already versions of mint that will work great on a netboot, lets not spread ourselves too thin now... If anything they have been eliminating versions of Mint (LXDE).
rustguard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rustguard »

I think that the 3.12 kernal was/is optimised for atom processors. saves power and stuff

For me battery life on my netbook is very important, I have found Xfce to be very good, I seem to get more battery life than mate.

All the editions that I have used with the 3.12 optimised kernal seem to power down my usb ports. As I use my netbook for playing music through an external Dac that is powered from usb it caused me problems. which I am sure could be sorted.

I really like when distro's offer a netbook, or portable addition because these compers do have a number of unique needs.

I think mint has always been directed towards the best desktop?

What I dont really like is a netbook edition that leaves out all the programs I like/need for example Gimp and a full office sweet. lightweight is good but only to a point. my netbook is a work horse and is required to multi task; including late night solitair and texas hold'em.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”