Best Desktop For Linux Newbies?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Which Desktop Environment Would You Recommend To Linux Newbies?

Poll ended at Tue May 22, 2012 4:31 am

1. KDE
11%
2.LXDE
9%
3.Gnome Shell
4%
4. Unity
9%
5. Xfce
26%
6. MATE
15%
7. Cinnamon
26%
8. Gnome Fallback
No votes
9. Other
2%

Total votes : 47

Re: Best Desktop For Linux Newbies?

Postby KBD47 on Fri May 11, 2012 11:31 pm

3fRI wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I've done that and it does seem quicker, but I'll see how it goes for a few days. :D

Cool :-)
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby TobyJamesJoy on Wed May 16, 2012 9:10 am

i chose xfce and unity. xfce because it's light, customizable and noob-friendly. it should be able to run on any machine and do anything that windows xp/mum and dad distros do whilst having things like a trash-can etc as default, unlike lxde.

i chose unity because many people i know use mac and unity seems to have all of the usability and impressive looks and features that os x provides, without the pricetag or the brand-restrictions. when i tell people i use linux they often say "oh that's like the old computers isn't it?". i think if people have the processing power to run it and aren't afraid of losing the "start" button, unity should be first choice as it shows that linux can provide modern ui experiences to rival the most established players out there, whilst giving freedom and doing it all for no cost.
TobyJamesJoy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hellfire695 on Wed May 16, 2012 1:01 pm

TobyJamesJoy wrote:i chose xfce and unity. xfce because it's light, customizable and noob-friendly. it should be able to run on any machine and do anything that windows xp/mum and dad distros do whilst having things like a trash-can etc as default, unlike lxde.

i chose unity because many people i know use mac and unity seems to have all of the usability and impressive looks and features that os x provides, without the pricetag or the brand-restrictions. when i tell people i use linux they often say "oh that's like the old computers isn't it?". i think if people have the processing power to run it and aren't afraid of losing the "start" button, unity should be first choice as it shows that linux can provide modern ui experiences to rival the most established players out there, whilst giving freedom and doing it all for no cost.

that is the most reasonable defense i have heard regarding unity. personally after a half hour it made bash my head into a wall, but it is pretty. but heck linux doesnt have an ugly desktop. that is unless you like ugly ones and purposfully make it ugly.
i mean all in good humor though.
hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux Mint