new builder needs desperate help!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bilal98

new builder needs desperate help!

Post by bilal98 »

hi im building my own pc i need to know if all this is compatible

motherboard : m5a97
cpu: amd fx bulldozer 3.6ghz quadcore i belive its the 4100
gpu: GTX 550 TI
RAM: 4GB RAM
also will all the bios and stuff work with linuix mint 11 or 12?

oooone last thing which cable will i need to connect this to a tv? and will all the bios and stuff work...

any tips for a noob builder?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hellfire695

Re: new builder needs desperate help!

Post by hellfire695 »

Well first off yes I do believe everything there is supported.

if your going with a amd processor I would suggest looking for a 5xxx series amd radeon, there excellent cards and prices have come down dramatically on them, also having a amd processor and graphics will enable you to use some cool features, also support for amd cards is getting better but still in the works.

another good tip is dont cheap out on the psu

also you may want to look into a phenom 2, the bulldozers are working out the bugs so a phenom 2 is going to be slightly cheaper and will perform just as well
I personally own a amd phenom 2 x4 970 black and the thing is excellent.

wouldn't worry bout the bios too much thats pretty much os agnostic

also all the amd cards have hdmi, the nvidia cards don't, and when it comes to ram, don't look at all the flashy crap, look at the gigs and cycle frequency, thats what matters, tht corsiar vengenace or that other highend stuff is the really the same as all the other ram. if your smart you easily stuff 16 gigs in there for bout a 100

another thing ssd drives are a excellent performance upgrade, and not nearly as expensive as they were. if your in the states look at tigerdirect or newegg for parts
if your in canada go to directcanada.ca anywhere else im less sure (i live in canada myself) I know other may disagree with me on this but if you game, or like hq music I suggest a asus xonar dg, works out of the box in newer linux verisions (i tested on xubuntu 11.10)
bilal98

Re: new builder needs desperate help!

Post by bilal98 »

thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”