Mint 12...A step backwards in usability?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vnzjunk

Mint 12...A step backwards in usability?

Post by vnzjunk »

I just installed Mint 12 and must say that my initial observations are less than what I had hoped for. I am sure it is a fine operating system that has all the latest bells and whistles but rite off the bat I lost access to the desktop and nightmares going to experiences with Linux years ago returned in a heartbeat. No matter what I try I cannot access a configuration menu that would allow me to easily undo what I did. This is an old situation that I thought was in the past for Linux. Usability for a non guru seems to take a step backwards............no let me rephrase that..........several steps backwards. I am sure that eventually I will get it figured out or else go back to a previous version which up till now worked absolutely fabulously well on a daily basis with no glitches to speak of.
I had hoped for better but I think someone dropped the ball. If you want people to switch from windows to Linux you just have to do better. JMHO

vnzjunk.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Mint 12...A step backwards in usability?

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to Chat about Linux Mint section
vnzjunk

Post by vnzjunk »

Not sure why the post was moved to a different forum. As a Newbie posting a Newbie question by way of observation into the Newbie question forum ????

At any rate. Still no access the original desktop as appeared upon install. I did manage to click on the upper right border and was able to bring up a browser window but no access to anything else. I am stuck.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

vnzjunk wrote:I will get it figured out or else go back to a previous version which up till now worked absolutely fabulously well on a daily basis with no glitches to speak of.
I had hoped for better but I think someone dropped the ball. If you want people to switch from windows to Linux you just have to do better.
If you want people to switch from windows to Linux you just have to do better..
That is or shouldn't be part of a Linux project; it is a failing endeavor due to the inertia and market penetration of the alternative OS (Windows version ?) or if they switch, they might go for another platform, such as Apple OSX

If you check, you will find that there have been quite a lot of bootup, menu, Gnome3/Unity and mate issues being presented

Mint still uses a Ubuntu base, therefor any issues you find on a Ubuntu equivalent version release will also and most likely be present on a mint equivalent version release: eg mint 12/ubuntu 12, even if they have decided to use different desktop window managers (Gnome3/unity shell or Mint mate/cinnamon)

If an older version is working well, stick with that, unless you see some feature that you just have to use/try..
vnzjunk

Post by vnzjunk »

I generally try to move to a newer version when support drops off for a working older one and newer software versions do not appear for downloading to the older version via the downloader package installer. That and when a newer version of say a browser starts breaking under the older system. I figure about that time that it is time to move on.
I think that it is the goal or should be the goal to make the system so user friendly that anyone can download the latest stable release and be able to run it without jumping through hoops. It is a disapointment when that was the case several upgrades in the past and then doesn't appear to be the case in the newer version. As far as I know it wasn't supposed to be a BETA.
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

mint 12 being gnome3 is picky on graphics drivers, then I don't know what happened with your setup but sure it sucks for you.
mint 12 main edition is a transitionary release, it has a weird desktop for sure.

you can install the xfce desktop, or lxde, or both and see what works better for you.
or use MATE, it's installed by default, you have to select it from login screen.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”