Cant understand Why this Gnome3

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Cant understand Why this Gnome3

Postby palmic on Fri May 11, 2012 10:33 am

I realy Cant understand how you could leave perfectly stable and userfriendly gnome 2 in favor of that gnome3 crap.
I have absolutelly nothing better, everything is whorse. I can only write some of most iritating things about it:

- notices/alerts which are visible only if you check them
- When you want to open fresh notice, you have to hit it with your sniperscope mouse because, when youll dont hit it, it will hide
- most applications cannot be minimized into tray and You have to leave it at some of your desktops
- most of my favorite audio players (amarok, clementine, banshee) FREEZES all that rainbows Gnome3 unicorns, its months ago, bug is described at many places (for instance here https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/892316) and no update is going to fix it
- i cannot set keyboard layout switch at my favourite alt+shift because it simply does not work, so i have to let it at ctrl+shift
- sorting openned apps in tray is not possible, so when ill open new terminal , i have to have it at last

The next ones are about to be my oppinions about usability, thats not fixes, but in general its about all that funking revolutional features of Gnome 3 effectivity are breaking effectivity because its all about to move my hand from keyboard to mouse, i feel like someone is joking of me.

Thank you for Your work, besides of gnome3, mint12 is rocksolid but i simply cannot understand how and why you switched into this crap.
(mate solves nothing it's not gnome2 too...)
Have a nice day.
Michal
palmic
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cant understand Why this Gnome3

Postby sagirfahmid3 on Fri May 11, 2012 10:37 am

I agree with you about Gnome 3 being crap, but then again, it's very young. Just give it some time and people will improve on it, I am sure. People like you and me, we need to get working on improving how Gnome 3 works; just mess around with it, change config files, gconf edit some files, and when you have fixed or improved on something, upload it and share back with the community so they may apply it as well.
sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Postby monkeyboy on Fri May 11, 2012 10:52 am

palmic wrote:I realy Cant understand how you could leave perfectly stable and userfriendly gnome 2 in favor of that gnome3 crap.
I have absolutelly nothing better, everything is whorse. I can only write some of most iritating things about it:

- When you want to open fresh notice, you have to hit it with your sniperscope mouse because, when youll dont hit it, it will hide
- most applications cannot be minimized into tray and You have to leave it at some of your desktops
- most of my favorite audio players (amarok, clementine, banshee) FREEZES all that rainbows Gnome3 unicorns, its months ago, bug is described at many places (for instance here https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/892316) and no update is going to fix it
- i cannot set keyboard layout switch at my favourite alt+shift because it simply does not work, so i have to let it at ctrl+shift
- sorting openned apps in tray is not possible, so when ill open new terminal , i have to have it at last

The next ones are about to be my oppinions about usability, thats not fixes, but in general its about all that funking revolutional features of Gnome 3 effectivity are breaking effectivity because its all about to move my hand from keyboard to mouse, i feel like someone is joking of me.

Thank you for Your work, besides of gnome3, mint12 is rocksolid but i simply cannot understand how and why you switched into this crap.
Have a nice day.
Michal

Simply, G2 as we knew it on Mint is dead and its time to select an alternative. Which one of the alternatives you select is up to you, so good luck with that. Oh yes, I almost forgot ranting won't get you far on the board. Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby craig10x on Mon May 14, 2012 10:04 am

Yes...Gnome 2 is dead, really, and it wasn't ubuntu, mint or any other distro that finished it off..it was gnome itself...so accept it, move on and don't rant because it won't bring back the deceased, so to speak...

Just choose a new desktop environment be it unity, cinnamon, or some non-gnome variation... :wink:
you might also want to check out Zorin 6 when it gets released later this month (it is based on ubuntu 12.04) he also is doing a modification of gnome shell much like Clem has done with Cinnamon...though his concept is to give a more "windows 7" look (attracts newbies from windows)...with windows 7 style slab menu and just a bottom panel like mint has...

And Mint 13 with cinnamon will be released shortly as well...I'm using ubuntu 12.04 with unity myself as after using it for a few weeks i got very comfortable with it...
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Postby cwwgateway on Mon May 14, 2012 5:37 pm

palmic wrote:I realy Cant understand how you could leave perfectly stable and userfriendly gnome 2 in favor of that gnome3 crap.
Mint didn't really have a choice - Gnome 2 is dead. They are working on MATE and Cinnamon, though. MATE is exactly, to every darn line of code, what Gnome 2 was. It is, literally, Gnome 2 renamed. There is almost no code change besides renaming Gnome to MATE (and forking some apps and changing their names).
They work in MATE and Cinnamon
Not sure what this means, do you mean the hot corner? If so, fixed in MATE and Cinnamon
Fixed in MATE and Cinnamon
I'm not sure...
I'm not sure... (again)
I think this is fixed in MATE and Cinnamon.

Have a nice day.
Michal
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Chat about Linux Mint