Mint 13 (Maya) RC out

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
minties

Re: Mint 13 (Maya) RC out

Post by minties »

As a relative new user of LM 12, I have just installed LM13 RC.

But where is the option to install the codecs? This option is available in 12.

Thanks in advance.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

minties wrote:As a relative new user of LM 12, I have just installed LM13 RC.

Thanks in advance.
The codecs should already be preinstalled. So don't worry about them.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

esteban1uy wrote:
realitykid wrote:So, I'm listening to music in Mint 13 Cinnamon with Banshee. I noticed that the Banshee icon shows in the system tray area.
Should it be like this? Or is this just a bug?
That's not a bug, that's a feature!
The same for VLC:

I'm just making sure. It wasn't like this in 12.
cwwgateway wrote: Somewhere on the blog announcement Clem said that banshee kept its icon so it was compatible with other DEs like Xfce.
Ok, this makes sense. Bugs me, but I understand the need for it. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
minties

Post by minties »

realitykid wrote:
minties wrote:As a relative new user of LM 12, I have just installed LM13 RC.

The codecs should already be preinstalled. So don't worry about them.
Yes, you are right - sound and video work. :)
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

realitykid wrote:
cwwgateway wrote: Somewhere on the blog announcement Clem said that banshee kept its icon so it was compatible with other DEs like Xfce.
Ok, this makes sense. Bugs me, but I understand the need for it. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
The original comment Clem is replying to says:
1) Banshee doesn’t integrate right away with the Sound Applet. Banshee creates it’s own icon in the panel and stays that way until the shell is restarted; when the shell has been restarted once with Banshee open, this issue doesn’t happen again.
Hopefully that might fix the issue for you.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

zerozero wrote:
outfieldgrass wrote:I didn't have this issue with Mint 12 and its using the same version of Cinnamon, right?
the v. in maya's repository is different from the one available in lisa.
A few bugs are fixed in maya but it's after all still mostly the same Cinnamon 1.4, updated to work on Gnome 3.4 based distros.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
cariyawa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cariyawa »

I think I found a small bug in MATE. I already posted it in MATE forum(but didn't get a reply yet). In MATE, console applications(like ipython, htop) won't work by clicking the menu item. They give the error message, Eg: "Could not launch application", Failed to execute child process "xterm" (No such file or directory).

What is happening is that the console application tries to open xterm to run it self. If I install xterm the problem is solved. But xterm is not my favorite. Any help? :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

outfieldgrass wrote:I've noticed with Mint 13 that after a restart, or logging out and back in, all windows lose their GTK theme setting and they are left with a black border that contains no button to close or minimize. I then have to go into Cinnamon settings, change the GTK theme and then change it back. I didn't have this issue with Mint 12 and its using the same version of Cinnamon, right? Anybody else experience this?
AlbertP wrote:
zerozero wrote:
outfieldgrass wrote:I didn't have this issue with Mint 12 and its using the same version of Cinnamon, right?
the v. in maya's repository is different from the one available in lisa.
A few bugs are fixed in maya but it's after all still mostly the same Cinnamon 1.4, updated to work on Gnome 3.4 based distros.
what outfieldgrass was pointing out was a regression (caused maybe because this v. is build against a new clutter and new cogl?) that wasn't present in lisa and is in maya (and we have another report here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=100690 about the same issue)
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

zerozero wrote: what outfieldgrass was pointing out was a regression (caused maybe because this v. is build against a new clutter and new cogl?) that wasn't present in lisa and is in maya (and we have another report here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=100690 about the same issue)
Sounds like this affects mainly (if not only) users with ATI graphics. Is this the case???
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Has anyone had a problem with typing "c-o-m-p-i" into the mintMenu in MATE? When I do, it freezes.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

cariyawa wrote:I think I found a small bug in MATE. I already posted it in MATE forum(but didn't get a reply yet). In MATE, console applications(like ipython, htop) won't work by clicking the menu item. They give the error message, Eg: "Could not launch application", Failed to execute child process "xterm" (No such file or directory).

What is happening is that the console application tries to open xterm to run it self. If I install xterm the problem is solved. But xterm is not my favorite. Any help? :D
How about simlinking xterm to your favourite terminal?
Let's say you prefer gnome-terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo su -
 cd /usr/bin
 mv xterm xtermbk
 ln -sf /usr/bin/gnome-terminal /usr/bin/xterm
 exit
cariyawa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cariyawa »

How about simlinking xterm to your favourite terminal?
Worked like a charm. Thanks a LOT :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

realitykid wrote:
Sounds like this affects mainly (if not only) users with ATI graphics. Is this the case???
the existing reports apparently all have that in common, yes.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Would someone here be kind enough to check to see if "Open as administrator" is present when right-clicking on a folder in Nautilus in an installed LM 13 "Cinnamon"? It's not there in the live session and I need to know if it's the same when LM 13 Cinnamon is installed. Many thanks. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

kmb42vt wrote:Would someone here be kind enough to check to see if "Open as administrator" is present when right-clicking on a folder in Nautilus in an installed LM 13 "Cinnamon"? It's not there in the live session and I need to know if it's the same when LM 13 Cinnamon is installed. Many thanks. :D
I think that was a regression with Nautilus 3.x, so no, you can't open as administrator in Cinnamon (I think it works in MATE, though - caja/nautilus 2.x).
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

cwwgateway wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:Would someone here be kind enough to check to see if "Open as administrator" is present when right-clicking on a folder in Nautilus in an installed LM 13 "Cinnamon"? It's not there in the live session and I need to know if it's the same when LM 13 Cinnamon is installed. Many thanks. :D
I think that was a regression with Nautilus 3.x, so no, you can't open as administrator in Cinnamon (I think it works in MATE, though - caja/nautilus 2.x).
Strange, I have "Open as administrator" present in Linux Mint 12 using Gnome 3 and Cinnamon.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

kmb42vt wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:
Strange, I have "Open as administrator" present in Linux Mint 12 using Gnome 3 and Cinnamon.
I don't know then. IIRC, that was in the comments on community.linuxmint.com for the final LMDE Cinnamon ISO.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

[quote="cwwgateway"I don't know then. IIRC, that was in the comments on community.linuxmint.com for the final LMDE Cinnamon ISO.[/quote]

Could have been a regression in the latest version of Gnome 3 perhaps? Usually I'm more up on the latest LM events but lack of health has been keeping me out of touch. Either way, I found a procedure for adding it back in:

http://www.thelinuxgeeks.info/how-to-ad ... ntu-12-04/

If it works in Ubuntu 12.04 it should work in Linux Mint 13 with Gnome 3 and Cinnamon.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Only played with the 13 RC (Cinnamon flavour) for about 3 hours but I like 12.04 with Cinnamon more, also like Mint 12 more in many respects :(

I think the problem is that I'm into looks too much. MDM looks like something from ten years ago compared to LightDM (or GDM). Cinnamon with the default theme looks a deal less attractive than both Unity and Gnome Shell and though I'm no Unity fan at all it's just more matured at this point than Cinnamon. The fact that installing and using Gnome Shell is a hassle is bit of a turn-off as well (easy peasy in Ubuntu even though Unity is much further away from Gnome Shell than Cinnamon is).
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

It seems like Gnome keeps removing more and more functionalities from the context menu of Nautilus with each version of Gnome 3. Do you remember "Create Laucher"?

Ok, this is the nautilus-script way to add "Open as root":

-Open gedit and paste the following text:

Code: Select all

for uri in $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_URIS; do
gksudo "gnome-open $uri" &
done
-Save it to ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ with the name Open as root
-Navigate to that folder, right-click the file and check "Allow executing file as program".

For the "Create launcher", just follow Binsebasse's post (1b): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=86813

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”