Mint 13 (Maya) RC out

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mint 13 (Maya) RC out

Post by AlbertP »

@ kmb42vt: You can also switch servers for Ubuntu, by manually editing the server's URL on the Others tab of Software Sources. Mirrors are here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors
I use the LeaseWeb mirror (The Netherlands) on my laptop, if you are NL based it's quite fast. The BIT mirror is located just one mile from me but it's overloaded at times.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
selittl

Mint 13 (Maya) RC out

Post by selittl »

Until AMD gets their act together and develops a halfway decent driver that works with Linux I think xfce is a good way to go.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

selittl wrote:Until AMD gets their act together and develops a halfway decent driver that works with Linux I think xfce is a good way to go.
Or just avoid AMD altogether and go Nvidia or Intel. lol Of course, some people can't just go buy a new computer. But, if you were to, I'd say Intel. Mainly because I've had a pretty good experience with Intel thus far.

I do think Xfce is a really good option though! I wonder if KDE works pretty well on AMD as well.
Java_Az

Post by Java_Az »

realitykid wrote:
selittl wrote:Until AMD gets their act together and develops a halfway decent driver that works with Linux I think xfce is a good way to go.
Or just avoid AMD altogether and go Nvidia or Intel. lol Of course, some people can't just go buy a new computer. But, if you were to, I'd say Intel. Mainly because I've had a pretty good experience with Intel thus far.

I do think Xfce is a really good option though! I wonder if KDE works pretty well on AMD as well.
Might not be the best solution. I do run a intel CPU and chipset but ATI video card. I even went so far as to buy a Nvidia card about 9 months ago. But after installing Nvidia drivers i found out they were just as bad / buggy as ATI's. Might be because i run a 37inch HDTV but the default mint install drivers have always worked really good for me. So switching out hardware might just land someone in the same boat as they started in.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

Java_Az wrote:
Might not be the best solution. I do run a intel CPU and chipset but ATI video card. I even went so far as to buy a Nvidia card about 9 months ago. But after installing Nvidia drivers i found out they were just as bad / buggy as ATI's. Might be because i run a 37inch HDTV but the default mint install drivers have always worked really good for me. So switching out hardware might just land someone in the same boat as they started in.
I'm just thinking from my personal experience with Intel HD graphics. I realize that this is an integrated graphics chipset, so performance for things like video games just isn't there. However, for day to day tasks, it works perfectly fine for me.

However, I am able to get World of Warcraft to play relatively nicely with it under WINE in OpenGL graphics mode and the graphics quality set to low. For me, this is fine. If I want top notch quality, I play my 360. And hopefully I'll have my laptop (Mint), desktop (Arch), and 360 all hooked up to a nice 32" 720p TV that I plan on getting after this summer and possibly mounting on my wall.

All in all, I know that I'm going to stick with Intel graphics in Linux just to avoid any potential headaches.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

jaws222 wrote:
outfieldgrass wrote: AS for MATE, that would be my second choice. Might go that route too, who knows. :)
You should try the MATE spin. It's surprisingly stable and functional. It's like running Mint 10 with updated programs. My fave Mint distro so far 8)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

AlbertP wrote:@ kmb42vt: You can also switch servers for Ubuntu, by manually editing the server's URL on the Others tab of Software Sources. Mirrors are here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors
I use the LeaseWeb mirror (The Netherlands) on my laptop, if you are NL based it's quite fast. The BIT mirror is located just one mile from me but it's overloaded at times.
Thanks, I found the link you posted shortly before your reply came in. I manually edited my "sources.list" and completed the updates in no time at all. They certainly don't make it easy to switch Ubuntu servers unless you're actually running Ubuntu. In fact, it took quite a lot of searching before I found mirror list you linked to in your post. If I knew a bit more about programming I'd work up something for Mint that would make it a whole lot easier to change Ubuntu update mirrors. Unfortunately, I could never wrap my head around the development end of things. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

jaws222 wrote:
outfieldgrass wrote:I installed Mint 13 Maya, added XFCE 4.10 and removed Cinnamon. So far its been 2 full days and its very stable and the performance is great. Nothing against Cinnamon or Mate but I feel XFCE offers more of what I am looking for.
I think I'll go the XFCE route too when I do my install. I have Mint 12 with Cinnamon on my laptop and it runs flawlessly but have had issues running Cinnamon on my desktops with ATI drivers. I still have a Mint 11 version running the XFCE and absolutely love it and luckily I have it until October of this year until the support runs out. Yes, like you said nothing against Cinnamon but XFCE has been around longer and is time-tested and IMO is the best DE out there. AS for MATE, that would be my second choice. Might go that route too, who knows. :)
I'm using the Cinnamon version, but I'm very excited that there will probably be an Ubuntu based Mint Xfce (I know that it's easy to do an apt install xfce4 but it's much more convienient when everything is there already).
flanna
Level 3
Level 3

Maya full release date?

Post by flanna »

How soon will the full release of Maya / Cinnamon it be available??
veggen

Re: Maya full release date?

Post by veggen »

No specific date. As always, it is released when the developers feel it's ready.
minties

Post by minties »

Everyone, have a look here for a comparison of CPU usage of Mint 13 RC for Mate vs Cinnamon in VirtualBox. CPU usage in Cinnamon is significantly more.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showt ... 356&page=2

EDIT: looks like the CPU usage comparisons and pics have been deleted, for some reason.
Last edited by minties on Wed May 23, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

minties wrote:Everyone, have a look here for a comparison of CPU usage of Mint 13 RC for Mate vs Cinnamon in VirtualBox. CPU usage in Cinnamon is significantly more.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showt ... 356&page=2
No wonder - this is virtual machine :)
As for the real hardware, Cinnamon eats from 1 to 6 percent on my PC (Core 2 Duo E8400, 6 Gb RAM, GeForce 8600, LMDE x64). Not that much. I don't think it will eat more in Ubuntu-based Mint.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yeah, that is a pointless comparison.

Testing CPU usage on virtualized hardware, and then drawing conclusions from it for real hardware? Nope.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Cinnamon uses up to 6% when idle on a single core AMD Sempron 140 here, when opening the menu or the expo it uses more CPU for a short time, but it doesn't reach 100% CPU usage at all.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Oh don't be so grumpy with that poor guy, he just tried to make a point. :roll:

Now let's move to real hardware. This is Maya Cinnamon 64 bits idling in a Lenovo B570 (Intel Sandy Bridge):

And this is Maya Mate 64 bits idling in the same machine:

Both cases are not definitive installations but Live-DVDs so the memory usage is not representative, what matters here is the CPU at idle, and that shows that, in relative new systems, the difference between Mate and Cinnamon is almost negligible (Mate 1%-4%, Cinnamon 2%-6%). Now remember that the System Monitor itself uses some CPU, so the real CPU usage at idling should be even more insignificant.
Last edited by esteban1uy on Mon May 21, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

esteban1uy, thanks for comparing on real hardware :mrgreen:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i think these http://community.linuxmint.com/iso are the final images going into testing (if so we might see a final release soon) :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Alright! "Open as administrator" for Nautilus in Maya/Cinnamon came in through this morning's updates. Maya/Cinnamon is really shaping up nice. So is Maya/Mate for that matter which is good because that's what's going on my wife's desktop when I replace the hard drive. She prefers the old Gnome 2 style DE. I'd make a remark about Mate and Cinnamon making a spicy mix--but I won't :mrgreen:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:i think these http://community.linuxmint.com/iso are the final images going into testing (if so we might see a final release soon) :D
Yup, I checked the ISO page earlier this morning and saw them there. The RCs with the latest updates seems to have fixed the majority of the bugs and instability issues though so I'll keep those running for awhile and download the finals just to have them.

Now, wasn't that a useless comment? :mrgreen: :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Clem said (yesterday) that it was down to 4 bugs (and easy to break down)
kmb42vt wrote: Now, wasn't that a useless comment? :mrgreen: :D
:lol: useful u mean?? :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”