Whoa! Things to work on in Cinnamon

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Whoa! Things to work on in Cinnamon

Postby tek_heretik on Thu May 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Am taking LM 13 (64-bit) for a live spin (switched to Kubuntu for a few reasons), so I try to find 'remember window size and location', I am a seasoned user and I gave up, imagine a newbie. Secondly, now this I find odd that it is still happening, I enable show the trash icon on the desktop, mount my Raid volume and low and behold, the Raid volume icon goes right on top of the trash icon, I find it mind boggling that new icons still don't know the existing icon 'space' is occupied and the new icon doesn't take the next available space instead. Shaking my head, sticking with Kubuntu, at least I can tell windows their initial size and location.
Hardware junky=>AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, 2x120GB SATA (6Gbps) SSDs (Raid 0), 1TB storage HDD, 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold, running ONLY 64-bit Linux. >B^)
tek_heretik
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Whoa! Things to work on in Cinnamon

Postby xenopeek on Thu May 24, 2012 6:18 pm

Moved here by moderator

Unlike option-restricted users of other operating systems, on Linux we have a wide range of desktop environments to choose from and find one that fits with our personal preferences. I'm yet to encounter the first newbie that wants 'remember window size and location', let alone know it is a possibility. You have been spoilt with KDE's options :wink: Anyway, KDE and Xfce will both be released as an edition of Linux Mint also. So for those that really miss 'remember window size and location', it comes on KDE!

For those considering to run Cinnamon, the New features in Linux Mint 13 has a good pros & cons overview. So yes, you may run into some glitches like the trash icon being overlaid with another icon as you share. As Cinnamon is in rapid development to the next version, those will get ironed out more and more. For average day to day use, I find it works perfectly.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Whoa! Things to work on in Cinnamon

Postby tek_heretik on Fri May 25, 2012 12:46 am

@Vincent...thank God for KDE then I guess, because yeah, even Win-DOHs remembers size and location, it's only been around for YEARS, lol. I have been using Linux on and off since 2004 (abandoned Win-DOHs completely in 2010), many different flavours and desktops, including this distro with Gnome, I thought I liked the simplicity, but I was wrong, hence switching to Kubuntu.

Secondly, I hope you haven't offended any newbies with your statement that they probably wouldn't want or need size and location, just because somebody is new to Linux, doesn't make them retarded, BUT, they will be looking for features they are used to in Win-DOHs.

Thirdly, spoilt is spelled spoiled. :wink:
Hardware junky=>AMD FX-8350, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, 2x120GB SATA (6Gbps) SSDs (Raid 0), 1TB storage HDD, 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3, Radeon R7 250, Thermaltake V3 Black AMD Edition case, 750W Tt Toughpower Gold, running ONLY 64-bit Linux. >B^)
tek_heretik
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Chat about Linux Mint