Ram & CPU - LMDE Xfce vs. LXDE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
toomanyquestions

Ram & CPU - LMDE Xfce vs. LXDE

Post by toomanyquestions »

Specs: 1gig ram, 2.6x Intel celeron (I believe).

When I open 3+ tabs in FF things slow down. Consequently I was wondering which system is most resource frugal - LMDE Xfce or LM LXDE? From what I understand, LXDE w/the same DE would be faster; however I also understand LXDE is a slightly faster DE...hence the question :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FDF

Re: Ram & CPU - LMDE Xfce vs. LXDE

Post by FDF »

Using an add on to kill the scripts on FF would probably also be a great help.

in a terminal do the top command. it will show you what is keeping your CPU busy. it is unlikely to be Xfce or Lxde. The difference is normally not so big… So changing won't be the good solution.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

The difference between LXDE and XFCE is only a few 10's of MB, should not be significant for a 1024MB of RAM computer. It's not the DE doing that slowdown.

You could try a lighter browser like Midori or try Chromium if you think it's a bug with FF. As FDF said disabling scrips should also help.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

Try to reproduce the problem with Firefox running without add-ons and plugins, to exclude them being the cause. To do so, close all your current Firefox windows and then run the following command from Alt+F2 run dialog or a terminal:

Code: Select all

firefox -safe-mode
toomanyquestions

FDF wrote: in a terminal do the top command. it will show you what is keeping your CPU busy.
After running "top" this AM, it seems my problem is CPU load. Worst offenders: firefox-bin, Xorg, plugin-container. Thoughts? Ditch FF? Is my CPU dying?
toomanyquestions

M12 LXDE Ram & CPU Questions

A few related questions -

1) Is the attached just-started memory readout normal for an almost stock Mint LXDE install?
2) I recently noticed that conky's ram numbers (in cb#!) were quite different from what "top" showed. What am I missing?
3)As i understand it, LXDE works with openbox. Is there any way to have an openbox session? I ask because I've been impressed with memory usage in cb#! & Madbox. I'd like to recreate that experience w/Mint if *reasonably* possible. :D
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

toomanyquestions wrote:A few related questions -

1) Is the attached just-started memory readout normal for an almost stock Mint LXDE install?
2) I recently noticed that conky's ram numbers (in cb#!) were quite different from what "top" showed. What am I missing?
3)As i understand it, LXDE works with openbox. Is there any way to have an openbox session? I ask because I've been impressed with memory usage in cb#! & Madbox. I'd like to recreate that experience w/Mint if *reasonably* possible. :D
If you've installed LM LXDE, then openbox is the default, which you can select at login, but you also can select Mint-LXDE. :)
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

toomanyquestions wrote:2) I recently noticed that conky's ram numbers (in cb#!) were quite different from what "top" showed. What am I missing?
Conky reports RAM usage like the "free" command. You can use:

Code: Select all

free -m
and check the "-/+ buffers/cache:" line under the "used" column.

You have more information on this page: http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

If you want to improve the RAM utilization of your Mint system take a look here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=96465

Mint 12 LXDE already has Openbox installed but it's really very basic, you may want to install tint2 and other programs. Take a look here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/374
toomanyquestions

If you've installed LM LXDE, then openbox is the default, which you can select at login, but you also can select Mint-LXDE. :)
Ahh, now I know the difference between the two sessions. :D Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”