Poll: respins of Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What is your interest in respins?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:21 pm

I'm already working on a respin
10%
I'm planning to make a respin
10%
I'd like to help those making respins (suggestions, testing)
10%
I'm looking for a respin that matches my needs
33%
I'm not interested
38%

Total votes: 21

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Poll: respins of Linux Mint

Post by xenopeek »

I'm wondering how many of you are interested in making/using respins of Linux Mint, and specifically what your interest is?

Mini FAQ:
  • What are respins? A respin is a remastered Linux Mint ISO, where the selection of default programs has been modified. For example, with a different desktop environment than as available on the Linux Mint ISOs, or with a different default office suite, or with less programs so that it fits on a CD. Respins are bootable and installable, just like the Linux Mint ISOs.
  • Who creates respins? Why? Respins are created by you, the users of Linux Mint. For yourself or to share with others. Even though you can modify what programs are installed after installing Linux Mint, in some cases it is preferable to have a reusable installation ISO with your modifications. So if you enjoy using Linux Mint, but none of the available editions meet your needs fully, a respin may be the way forward.
  • How can I create a respin? Follow Clem's tutorial How to remaster/respin Linux Mint ISO images. Ubuntu Builder now also supports Linux Mint 13, though I'm not sure if this gives you the same result as Clem's tutorial.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tomast

Re: Poll: respins of Linux Mint

Post by tomast »

I already made one :-)
I purged a Bunch of stuff I never use and installed a few things that I do use. Including ia32-libs , sun-java6 , Boinc , etc... etc... etc...
Then I made some changes in the sources.list and (sudo apt update) and (sudo apt upgrade) to install all current updates.
In the end it actually was slightly smaller .iso than the original.
Now all I have to do after I install is a few tweaks to start-up applications , services , appearance settings and Firefox settings and I'm good to go. ( would have already done that too if I knew how in terminal )
The best thing for me is not needing any Internet connection to install a fully finished / updated OS. ( my Net connection is super slow )
gary428509

Re: Poll: respins of Linux MintLM13

Post by gary428509 »

Get rid of both CINNAMON and MATE and go with LXDE. It's the best. Also get rid of WINE 1.4. It sucks.
intok

Re: Poll: respins of Linux Mint

Post by intok »

How about respins focusing on gaming and multimedia editing with updated OSS drivers? Isn't the 3.5 kernel supposed to be out soon with improvements to all of OSS GPU drivers?

I'll never understand the XFCE and LXDE guys, they aren't that much lighter and they aren't as feature complete as Gnome2/Mate1.2, I've used them all on decade old stuff like a 1.6Ghz P4 Willamette http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4 ... 0G%29.html with 512Mb of PC133 SDRam and an Intel Brookdale-GL GPU https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... 4_chipsets

So yeah, I don't see what the big deal is with them, if I want to lose features in the desktop for speed and memory consumption there are far lighter options http://www.osnews.com/story/26087/Four_ ... s_Compared

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”